Jun 3, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
No further details were provided by the team, but it is a one-year, $4 million deal, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zidlicky is 37 years old, but he might have been able to get more had he held out until July 1 when he would have become an unrestricted free agent.
He’s coming off a strong campaign where he scored 12 goals and 42 points in 81 games while logging 21:38 minutes per contest. He led the team in power-play points (18), but the offensive defenseman was seldom used to kill penalties.
New Jersey now has five defensemen inked to one-way contracts, not including 22-year-old Jonathon Merrill, who is likely to get a spot on the team’s 2014-15 roster. That makes things that much harder for 21-year-old defenseman Adam Larsson after he spent a good chunk of the 2013-14 campaign in the minors.
Larsson is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
Update: More on the $4 million salary breakdown, per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun…
Should add on Zidlicky deal: while it’s $3 M in base salary, he can earn another $1 M in games played bonus if he plays 25 games.
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) June 3, 2014
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)