Jun 3, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
No further details were provided by the team, but it is a one-year, $4 million deal, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zidlicky is 37 years old, but he might have been able to get more had he held out until July 1 when he would have become an unrestricted free agent.
He’s coming off a strong campaign where he scored 12 goals and 42 points in 81 games while logging 21:38 minutes per contest. He led the team in power-play points (18), but the offensive defenseman was seldom used to kill penalties.
New Jersey now has five defensemen inked to one-way contracts, not including 22-year-old Jonathon Merrill, who is likely to get a spot on the team’s 2014-15 roster. That makes things that much harder for 21-year-old defenseman Adam Larsson after he spent a good chunk of the 2013-14 campaign in the minors.
Larsson is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
Update: More on the $4 million salary breakdown, per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun…
Should add on Zidlicky deal: while it’s $3 M in base salary, he can earn another $1 M in games played bonus if he plays 25 games.
— Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) June 3, 2014
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)