Jun 3, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Dan Hinote is leaving the Columbus Blue Jackets organization due to a personal matter, the club announced on Tuesday.
“I’m disappointed that Dan won’t be continuing the work we’ve started here, but I understand his desire and need to put family matters first,” said Blue Jackets Head Coach Todd Richards said in a statement. “He has been a great asset to our staff and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication.”
Here’s more, from the Columbus Dispatch:
Hinote, citing a “private family matter,” will move to Chicago later this summer, he told The Dispatch. He declined to comment further.
The Blue Jackets hired Hinote as a third assistant coach four seasons ago, after his playing career ended with a season in Europe. He was promoted to replace Keith Acton two years ago when Acton left for Edmonton.
Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen signed Richards to a two-year extension last month, putting him under contract through the 2016-17 season. The assistants are next in line for long-term deals.
Hinote, 37, joined the Jackets’ coaching staff just two years after wrapping his NHL career. His best season came during the 2000-01 campaign, when he posted a career-high 15 points for the Stanley Cup-winning Avalanche.
Losing Hinote could be big for Columbus. He’s part of a coaching staff that’s been praised repeatedly throughout the last two seasons for coaxing good results out of a hard-working team, one that won its first-ever playoff games against Pittsburgh this spring.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)