Jun 3, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Dan Hinote is leaving the Columbus Blue Jackets organization due to a personal matter, the club announced on Tuesday.
“I’m disappointed that Dan won’t be continuing the work we’ve started here, but I understand his desire and need to put family matters first,” said Blue Jackets Head Coach Todd Richards said in a statement. “He has been a great asset to our staff and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication.”
Here’s more, from the Columbus Dispatch:
Hinote, citing a “private family matter,” will move to Chicago later this summer, he told The Dispatch. He declined to comment further.
The Blue Jackets hired Hinote as a third assistant coach four seasons ago, after his playing career ended with a season in Europe. He was promoted to replace Keith Acton two years ago when Acton left for Edmonton.
Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen signed Richards to a two-year extension last month, putting him under contract through the 2016-17 season. The assistants are next in line for long-term deals.
Hinote, 37, joined the Jackets’ coaching staff just two years after wrapping his NHL career. His best season came during the 2000-01 campaign, when he posted a career-high 15 points for the Stanley Cup-winning Avalanche.
Losing Hinote could be big for Columbus. He’s part of a coaching staff that’s been praised repeatedly throughout the last two seasons for coaxing good results out of a hard-working team, one that won its first-ever playoff games against Pittsburgh this spring.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
As most expected.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Has it been 12 weeks already?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Currently playing for the Kingston Frontenacs.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)