Jun 2, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
The odds were absolutely against New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello ever reaching a Stanley Cup Final series, becoming the first Norwegian-born player to ever do so.
Much like Martin St. Louis, he managed to make an impact on the NHL despite being an under-sized, undrafted player. He’s already managed quite a feat by making it this far – not to mention leading the Rangers in scoring this season with 59 points – but he told New York Newsday that it’s about more than just the individual accomplishment.
“Some people, like my family and friends, are really excited,” Zuccarello said. “It’s a huge opportunity for me, but we haven’t won anything yet. I would like to be a role model for the young kids, create some more buzz around hockey and hope it can help. But if I was Norwegian or not, I’m happy to be playing in the Final.”
Let’s hope that he can turn things up when the lights shine the brightest; he’s currently on a five-game scoring slump.
It wouldn’t be surprising to see him step his game up, though. The man they call “Frodo from Modo” and “Norwegian Hobbit Wizard” has come a long way since the days he recalls watching his childhood favorite team the Colorado Avalanche play big games at crazy hours. Now his excited friends and family get to watch Zuccarello play in hockey’s biggest stage.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)