Jun 2, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
The odds were absolutely against New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello ever reaching a Stanley Cup Final series, becoming the first Norwegian-born player to ever do so.
Much like Martin St. Louis, he managed to make an impact on the NHL despite being an under-sized, undrafted player. He’s already managed quite a feat by making it this far – not to mention leading the Rangers in scoring this season with 59 points – but he told New York Newsday that it’s about more than just the individual accomplishment.
“Some people, like my family and friends, are really excited,” Zuccarello said. “It’s a huge opportunity for me, but we haven’t won anything yet. I would like to be a role model for the young kids, create some more buzz around hockey and hope it can help. But if I was Norwegian or not, I’m happy to be playing in the Final.”
Let’s hope that he can turn things up when the lights shine the brightest; he’s currently on a five-game scoring slump.
It wouldn’t be surprising to see him step his game up, though. The man they call “Frodo from Modo” and “Norwegian Hobbit Wizard” has come a long way since the days he recalls watching his childhood favorite team the Colorado Avalanche play big games at crazy hours. Now his excited friends and family get to watch Zuccarello play in hockey’s biggest stage.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)