Jun 2, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Bergevin said they found out the next day Weise had a concussion. As for why he returned to the game, Bergevin explained how that came about.
“NHL has a protocol,” Bergevin said. “If the player says he’s OK, and the test says he’s OK, then he’s OK. There are flaws.”
The problem here was that Weise was not OK. Weise was put out of the game for a short time, but played over a minute more in the closing moments of the Canadiens’ 7-4 Game 5 victory.
Weise’s injury was said to be a “body injury” and not a head injury. Bergevin said the reasons for being elusive about the situation was because injuries aren’t discussed in the playoffs. That is, of course, unless a head coach makes veiled mention about knowing what an injury an opposing player had.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 11
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)