Jun 2, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
New Washington Capitals GM Brian MacLellan faces some challenges, including tweaking a roster to the specifications of new head coach Barry Trotz (even if the latter seems open-minded about playing to offensive strengths). CSNWashington.com takes an in-depth look at one of the bigger questions facing MacLellan: should the team use its final compliance buyout this summer?
Green only has one year left on a deal that carries a $6.08 million cap hit, so it seems like Washington would gain more in parting ways with Laich (whose $4.5 million cap hit runs through the 2016-17 season).
Assistant GM Don Fishman told CSNWashington.com that he doesn’t anticipate this happening. The Caps wouldn’t get much time to decide, either; there’s only a 48-hour window after the end of the playoffs to make such a decision.
Even if the Capitals decide to part ways with Laich, the 30-year-old would need to pass a physical first. He failed one at the end of the season as abdominal/groin issues continue to hound him.
In other words, Washington might not even have a choice.
If nothing else, the organization is giving Laich a vote of confidence. They said they “need” the gritty center during an introductory press conference while Laich seems upbeat about the 2014-15 season.
“I feel really good,” Laich said, noting to CSNWashington.com that he completed rehab from offseason surgery. “I’m very, very confident that come the fall I will be ready to rock and roll.”
The Capitals have to hope that isn’t his way of saying “I’ll have a lot of time to practice playing the guitar because I won’t be healthy enough to contribute.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)