Jun 2, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
New Washington Capitals GM Brian MacLellan faces some challenges, including tweaking a roster to the specifications of new head coach Barry Trotz (even if the latter seems open-minded about playing to offensive strengths). CSNWashington.com takes an in-depth look at one of the bigger questions facing MacLellan: should the team use its final compliance buyout this summer?
Green only has one year left on a deal that carries a $6.08 million cap hit, so it seems like Washington would gain more in parting ways with Laich (whose $4.5 million cap hit runs through the 2016-17 season).
Assistant GM Don Fishman told CSNWashington.com that he doesn’t anticipate this happening. The Caps wouldn’t get much time to decide, either; there’s only a 48-hour window after the end of the playoffs to make such a decision.
Even if the Capitals decide to part ways with Laich, the 30-year-old would need to pass a physical first. He failed one at the end of the season as abdominal/groin issues continue to hound him.
In other words, Washington might not even have a choice.
If nothing else, the organization is giving Laich a vote of confidence. They said they “need” the gritty center during an introductory press conference while Laich seems upbeat about the 2014-15 season.
“I feel really good,” Laich said, noting to CSNWashington.com that he completed rehab from offseason surgery. “I’m very, very confident that come the fall I will be ready to rock and roll.”
The Capitals have to hope that isn’t his way of saying “I’ll have a lot of time to practice playing the guitar because I won’t be healthy enough to contribute.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 13
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5