Jun 2, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
New Washington Capitals GM Brian MacLellan faces some challenges, including tweaking a roster to the specifications of new head coach Barry Trotz (even if the latter seems open-minded about playing to offensive strengths). CSNWashington.com takes an in-depth look at one of the bigger questions facing MacLellan: should the team use its final compliance buyout this summer?
Green only has one year left on a deal that carries a $6.08 million cap hit, so it seems like Washington would gain more in parting ways with Laich (whose $4.5 million cap hit runs through the 2016-17 season).
Assistant GM Don Fishman told CSNWashington.com that he doesn’t anticipate this happening. The Caps wouldn’t get much time to decide, either; there’s only a 48-hour window after the end of the playoffs to make such a decision.
Even if the Capitals decide to part ways with Laich, the 30-year-old would need to pass a physical first. He failed one at the end of the season as abdominal/groin issues continue to hound him.
In other words, Washington might not even have a choice.
If nothing else, the organization is giving Laich a vote of confidence. They said they “need” the gritty center during an introductory press conference while Laich seems upbeat about the 2014-15 season.
“I feel really good,” Laich said, noting to CSNWashington.com that he completed rehab from offseason surgery. “I’m very, very confident that come the fall I will be ready to rock and roll.”
The Capitals have to hope that isn’t his way of saying “I’ll have a lot of time to practice playing the guitar because I won’t be healthy enough to contribute.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)