Jun 2, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings have never met in the Stanley Cup Final before, but they have met in the playoffs before and it got a bit heated.
Back in the 1981 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the two teams met in the preliminary Best of 5 round eventually won by the Rangers. That series didn’t go quietly as the two teams had a legendary brawl during the Kings’ only win in the series in Game 2.
As the New York Times shared, over 200 penalty minutes were handed out after a bench-clearing brawl to end the first period. It was sparked by Rangers captain Barry Beck sucker-punching Kings defenseman Rick Chartraw. Chartraw was being held back by an official when Beck threw a left hook over the referee’s shoulder.
Highlights of the melee include:
- Hall of Famer Marcel Dionne throwing punches with Ed Hospodar.
- Ron Duguay’s sweet hair.
- Nick Fotiu winding up in the crowd throwing punches.
- Future NHL GMs Don Maloney and Jim Rutherford being involved.
- Hospodar punching Kings goalie Mario Lessard to spark things all over again.
- The commentary is priceless including comments saying the fight is a “disgrace” and it would “set the game back 10 years.”
Sit back and enjoy the wonder of early 80s hockey:
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)