Jun 2, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings have never met in the Stanley Cup Final before, but they have met in the playoffs before and it got a bit heated.
Back in the 1981 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the two teams met in the preliminary Best of 5 round eventually won by the Rangers. That series didn’t go quietly as the two teams had a legendary brawl during the Kings’ only win in the series in Game 2.
As the New York Times shared, over 200 penalty minutes were handed out after a bench-clearing brawl to end the first period. It was sparked by Rangers captain Barry Beck sucker-punching Kings defenseman Rick Chartraw. Chartraw was being held back by an official when Beck threw a left hook over the referee’s shoulder.
Highlights of the melee include:
- Hall of Famer Marcel Dionne throwing punches with Ed Hospodar.
- Ron Duguay’s sweet hair.
- Nick Fotiu winding up in the crowd throwing punches.
- Future NHL GMs Don Maloney and Jim Rutherford being involved.
- Hospodar punching Kings goalie Mario Lessard to spark things all over again.
- The commentary is priceless including comments saying the fight is a “disgrace” and it would “set the game back 10 years.”
Sit back and enjoy the wonder of early 80s hockey:
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)