Jun 2, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Not the flashiest name to kick off this series, but a solid veteran in the highly coveted category of right-shooting defensemen.
Gilbert played 73 games for the Panthers this season, registering three goals and 25 assists while logging 21:20 of ice time per contest. A favorite of the analytics community, the 31-year-old’s most productive year was with the Oilers in 2008-09, when he scored 45 points, with 14 power-play assists.
Potentially hurting Gilbert’s ability to cash in on July 1? The fact he just had surgery for a sports hernia.
Gilbert played last season for just $900,000, signing with the Panthers after being bought out by Minnesota. Florida general manager Dale Tallon would reportedly like to keep the player, and remember that the club has new ownership that’s willing to open its wallet. So it’s possible he might be locked up by July 1.
Bottom line: Gilbert isn’t going to win a Norris Trophy, and he doesn’t play a particularly physical game. But 204 points in 520 career NHL games is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you consider the offensively challenged/downright bad teams he’s played for.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)