Jun 2, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks expect to host an outdoor game next season, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
There are plenty of elements that are still up in the air, however. For one thing, an opponent needs to be determined. Officials would also need to decide upon a venue for that outdoor game.
Kurz gives his take on the ideal locale:
AT&T Park would probably be the better option for both the league and the Sharks. Known as one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country, sitting on the edge of the San Francisco Bay and what’s known as McCovey Cove, it would provide breathtaking visuals for a national broadcast much like NHL games at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in the past. It could help the Sharks to help grow the game locally in the San Francisco area, and be easier to fill to capacity, as AT&T Park holds 41,503 fans as compared to the 68,500 seats at Levi’s Stadium.
Along with AT&T Park (home of the San Francisco Giants), Kurz also mentions Levi’s Stadium. Let’s take a look at the two venues in question:
Hard to top AT&T Park, eh?
While Kurz cites multiple anonymous sources, there has been plenty of discussion regarding the Sharks getting an outdoor game.
San Jose was mentioned as one of what could be four venues for outdoor games next season. Reports surfaced about the Sharks making noise about this in January. The San Francisco Giants were initially expressing their interest in February.
It should be an interesting place to watch. Considering the fact that the Sharks’ GM spoke about wanting to play for the team, not just in this locale, it could also be a fun (and surreal) place to watch an outdoor hockey game.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)