Jun 2, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks expect to host an outdoor game next season, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
There are plenty of elements that are still up in the air, however. For one thing, an opponent needs to be determined. Officials would also need to decide upon a venue for that outdoor game.
Kurz gives his take on the ideal locale:
AT&T Park would probably be the better option for both the league and the Sharks. Known as one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country, sitting on the edge of the San Francisco Bay and what’s known as McCovey Cove, it would provide breathtaking visuals for a national broadcast much like NHL games at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in the past. It could help the Sharks to help grow the game locally in the San Francisco area, and be easier to fill to capacity, as AT&T Park holds 41,503 fans as compared to the 68,500 seats at Levi’s Stadium.
Along with AT&T Park (home of the San Francisco Giants), Kurz also mentions Levi’s Stadium. Let’s take a look at the two venues in question:
Hard to top AT&T Park, eh?
While Kurz cites multiple anonymous sources, there has been plenty of discussion regarding the Sharks getting an outdoor game.
San Jose was mentioned as one of what could be four venues for outdoor games next season. Reports surfaced about the Sharks making noise about this in January. The San Francisco Giants were initially expressing their interest in February.
It should be an interesting place to watch. Considering the fact that the Sharks’ GM spoke about wanting to play for the team, not just in this locale, it could also be a fun (and surreal) place to watch an outdoor hockey game.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)