Jun 2, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks expect to host an outdoor game next season, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
There are plenty of elements that are still up in the air, however. For one thing, an opponent needs to be determined. Officials would also need to decide upon a venue for that outdoor game.
Kurz gives his take on the ideal locale:
AT&T Park would probably be the better option for both the league and the Sharks. Known as one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country, sitting on the edge of the San Francisco Bay and what’s known as McCovey Cove, it would provide breathtaking visuals for a national broadcast much like NHL games at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in the past. It could help the Sharks to help grow the game locally in the San Francisco area, and be easier to fill to capacity, as AT&T Park holds 41,503 fans as compared to the 68,500 seats at Levi’s Stadium.
Along with AT&T Park (home of the San Francisco Giants), Kurz also mentions Levi’s Stadium. Let’s take a look at the two venues in question:
Hard to top AT&T Park, eh?
While Kurz cites multiple anonymous sources, there has been plenty of discussion regarding the Sharks getting an outdoor game.
San Jose was mentioned as one of what could be four venues for outdoor games next season. Reports surfaced about the Sharks making noise about this in January. The San Francisco Giants were initially expressing their interest in February.
It should be an interesting place to watch. Considering the fact that the Sharks’ GM spoke about wanting to play for the team, not just in this locale, it could also be a fun (and surreal) place to watch an outdoor hockey game.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)