Jun 2, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks expect to host an outdoor game next season, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
There are plenty of elements that are still up in the air, however. For one thing, an opponent needs to be determined. Officials would also need to decide upon a venue for that outdoor game.
Kurz gives his take on the ideal locale:
AT&T Park would probably be the better option for both the league and the Sharks. Known as one of the most picturesque stadiums in the country, sitting on the edge of the San Francisco Bay and what’s known as McCovey Cove, it would provide breathtaking visuals for a national broadcast much like NHL games at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in the past. It could help the Sharks to help grow the game locally in the San Francisco area, and be easier to fill to capacity, as AT&T Park holds 41,503 fans as compared to the 68,500 seats at Levi’s Stadium.
Along with AT&T Park (home of the San Francisco Giants), Kurz also mentions Levi’s Stadium. Let’s take a look at the two venues in question:
Hard to top AT&T Park, eh?
While Kurz cites multiple anonymous sources, there has been plenty of discussion regarding the Sharks getting an outdoor game.
San Jose was mentioned as one of what could be four venues for outdoor games next season. Reports surfaced about the Sharks making noise about this in January. The San Francisco Giants were initially expressing their interest in February.
It should be an interesting place to watch. Considering the fact that the Sharks’ GM spoke about wanting to play for the team, not just in this locale, it could also be a fun (and surreal) place to watch an outdoor hockey game.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)