Jun 2, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
In the first one-way contract of his career, Hutton will earn $700,000 in 2014-15 and $750,000 the following season.
With Pekka Rinne sidelined for most of the 2013-14 campaign, Hutton posted a 20-11-4 record, 2.62 GAA, and .910 save percentage in 40 games. Now that Rinne is healthy, Hutton is projected to start 2014-15 as the backup goaltender.
By locking up Hutton, the Predators have also signaled that 22-year-old Marek Mazanec will start next season in the minors. He had a 2.80 GAA and .902 save percentage in 25 contests with Nashville last season.
Hutton, 28, needed persistence to get to this point. He wasn’t drafted or even reached the level of the Major Juniors in Canada. Instead he spent four seasons in the Junior-A SIJHL, another four years with UMass-Lowell, and then three campaigns playing in the minors before getting his big opportunity in 2013-14.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)