Jun 2, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
In the first one-way contract of his career, Hutton will earn $700,000 in 2014-15 and $750,000 the following season.
With Pekka Rinne sidelined for most of the 2013-14 campaign, Hutton posted a 20-11-4 record, 2.62 GAA, and .910 save percentage in 40 games. Now that Rinne is healthy, Hutton is projected to start 2014-15 as the backup goaltender.
By locking up Hutton, the Predators have also signaled that 22-year-old Marek Mazanec will start next season in the minors. He had a 2.80 GAA and .902 save percentage in 25 contests with Nashville last season.
Hutton, 28, needed persistence to get to this point. He wasn’t drafted or even reached the level of the Major Juniors in Canada. Instead he spent four seasons in the Junior-A SIJHL, another four years with UMass-Lowell, and then three campaigns playing in the minors before getting his big opportunity in 2013-14.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 25
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)