Jun 2, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
In the first one-way contract of his career, Hutton will earn $700,000 in 2014-15 and $750,000 the following season.
With Pekka Rinne sidelined for most of the 2013-14 campaign, Hutton posted a 20-11-4 record, 2.62 GAA, and .910 save percentage in 40 games. Now that Rinne is healthy, Hutton is projected to start 2014-15 as the backup goaltender.
By locking up Hutton, the Predators have also signaled that 22-year-old Marek Mazanec will start next season in the minors. He had a 2.80 GAA and .902 save percentage in 25 contests with Nashville last season.
Hutton, 28, needed persistence to get to this point. He wasn’t drafted or even reached the level of the Major Juniors in Canada. Instead he spent four seasons in the Junior-A SIJHL, another four years with UMass-Lowell, and then three campaigns playing in the minors before getting his big opportunity in 2013-14.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5