Jun 2, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
In the first one-way contract of his career, Hutton will earn $700,000 in 2014-15 and $750,000 the following season.
With Pekka Rinne sidelined for most of the 2013-14 campaign, Hutton posted a 20-11-4 record, 2.62 GAA, and .910 save percentage in 40 games. Now that Rinne is healthy, Hutton is projected to start 2014-15 as the backup goaltender.
By locking up Hutton, the Predators have also signaled that 22-year-old Marek Mazanec will start next season in the minors. He had a 2.80 GAA and .902 save percentage in 25 contests with Nashville last season.
Hutton, 28, needed persistence to get to this point. He wasn’t drafted or even reached the level of the Major Juniors in Canada. Instead he spent four seasons in the Junior-A SIJHL, another four years with UMass-Lowell, and then three campaigns playing in the minors before getting his big opportunity in 2013-14.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11