Jun 2, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
In the first one-way contract of his career, Hutton will earn $700,000 in 2014-15 and $750,000 the following season.
With Pekka Rinne sidelined for most of the 2013-14 campaign, Hutton posted a 20-11-4 record, 2.62 GAA, and .910 save percentage in 40 games. Now that Rinne is healthy, Hutton is projected to start 2014-15 as the backup goaltender.
By locking up Hutton, the Predators have also signaled that 22-year-old Marek Mazanec will start next season in the minors. He had a 2.80 GAA and .902 save percentage in 25 contests with Nashville last season.
Hutton, 28, needed persistence to get to this point. He wasn’t drafted or even reached the level of the Major Juniors in Canada. Instead he spent four seasons in the Junior-A SIJHL, another four years with UMass-Lowell, and then three campaigns playing in the minors before getting his big opportunity in 2013-14.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)