Jun 2, 2014, 10:33 PM EST
No doubt about it, Marian Gaborik has been a huge addition to the Los Angeles Kings, but most people (understandably) focus on his impressive offensive contributions.
LA Kings Insider goes in-depth with GM Dean Lombardi to look back at the team’s quest to boost its offense (“without selling your soul” by hurting their elite defense) and how seamlessly Gaborik is fitting in.
Lombardi cited Gaborik’s early development with Jacques Lemaire as a member of the Minnesota Wild organization to share a startling observation: the outstanding sniper is excellent defensively, too.
“He’s as smart defensively as he is offensively, and he had been trained that way, and he had also been trained that defense was a priority to the point where maybe there was that criticism out there to turn him loose,” Lombardi said.
“Traditionally, the European player has been a 200-foot player when you look at the Larionovs and the Fedorovs and the Hossas of the world. He had been schooled, and he would fall into that category even before he got to Minnesota.”
It’s not that surprising to note that Gaborik, 32, tops all playoff goal scorers with 12 so far (Jeff Carter and Jonathan Toews are tied for second with nine), although it’s worth noting that the talented winger has been getting some bounces. His 18.5 shooting percentage is considerably higher than his 10.7 percentage from the regular season and 12.9 career mark.
From the sound of things, the Kings would be accept a slower scoring pace from Gaborik if he continues to be responsible in his own zone, too. Even if plenty of people think of him as a one-dimensional player.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)