Jun 2, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
For hockey fans and just about any observers, the Los Angeles Kings’ dramatic seven-game series win against the Chicago Blackhawks seemed special. The players on the ice backed that feeling up after the Kings’ narrow 5-4 overtime win in Game 7.
Kings captain Dustin Brown has played 71 playoff games in his NHL career, yet this outstanding Western Conference final series stands out among all the rest … including two other seven-game series from this postseason against California rivals.
“The story is how we were able to come back and how resilient we were, how awesome this series was to play and be a part of,” Justin Williams said. “It was just fitting [that] it ended in Game 7 in an overtime.”
Both the Kings and Blackhawks found themselves in difficult situations during this memorable series, yet both team kept fighting. That much was very clear to Alec Martinez, the Kings defenseman who scored the series-clinching goal.
No NHL team managed to win three road Game 7’s in the same postseason, but this emotional ride isn’t over yet for the Kings. They don’t get a lot of time to digest this series and prepare themselves for a relatively fresh New York Rangers with the 2014 Stanley Cup Final kicking off on Wednesday, yet if any team can shrug off this challenge, it’s these “Cockroach Kings.”
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)