Jun 2, 2014, 12:39 AM EST
For hockey fans and just about any observers, the Los Angeles Kings’ dramatic seven-game series win against the Chicago Blackhawks seemed special. The players on the ice backed that feeling up after the Kings’ narrow 5-4 overtime win in Game 7.
Kings captain Dustin Brown has played 71 playoff games in his NHL career, yet this outstanding Western Conference final series stands out among all the rest … including two other seven-game series from this postseason against California rivals.
“The story is how we were able to come back and how resilient we were, how awesome this series was to play and be a part of,” Justin Williams said. “It was just fitting [that] it ended in Game 7 in an overtime.”
Both the Kings and Blackhawks found themselves in difficult situations during this memorable series, yet both team kept fighting. That much was very clear to Alec Martinez, the Kings defenseman who scored the series-clinching goal.
No NHL team managed to win three road Game 7’s in the same postseason, but this emotional ride isn’t over yet for the Kings. They don’t get a lot of time to digest this series and prepare themselves for a relatively fresh New York Rangers with the 2014 Stanley Cup Final kicking off on Wednesday, yet if any team can shrug off this challenge, it’s these “Cockroach Kings.”
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)