Jun 1, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville has made some substantial tweaks in the 2014 Western Conference finals, with some working out against the Los Angeles Kings and some providing a minimal impacts. He raised a few eyebrows on Sunday by inserting Kris Versteeg back into the lineup.
Michal Rozsival also drew back into the Blackhawks mix tonight.
Versteeg had a flat-out disastrous Game 5. He made a mistake that opened the door for at least one Kings goal and another chance or two without providing much of an offensive burst.
The 28-year-old found himself glued to the bench after a second-period Dustin Brown goal despite the game hitting a second overtime and then was a healthy scratch in Game 6.
It’s a bit surprising to see him back in the lineup for such a big game, even if he’s replacing a nondescript player like Sheldon Brookbank. A quick search of “Versteeg” produces some optimism:
… Along with some pessimism:
We’ll see if Versteeg makes an impact tonight (one way or another).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)