Jun 1, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville has made some substantial tweaks in the 2014 Western Conference finals, with some working out against the Los Angeles Kings and some providing a minimal impacts. He raised a few eyebrows on Sunday by inserting Kris Versteeg back into the lineup.
Michal Rozsival also drew back into the Blackhawks mix tonight.
Versteeg had a flat-out disastrous Game 5. He made a mistake that opened the door for at least one Kings goal and another chance or two without providing much of an offensive burst.
The 28-year-old found himself glued to the bench after a second-period Dustin Brown goal despite the game hitting a second overtime and then was a healthy scratch in Game 6.
It’s a bit surprising to see him back in the lineup for such a big game, even if he’s replacing a nondescript player like Sheldon Brookbank. A quick search of “Versteeg” produces some optimism:
… Along with some pessimism:
We’ll see if Versteeg makes an impact tonight (one way or another).
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)