Jun 1, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
Aaron Ekblad entered the NHL Scouting Combine as the No. 2-ranked North American skater, according to Central Scouting, and believes he can make the big league next season.
The 18-year-old Ekblad, named the Ontario Hockey League’s Most Outstanding Defenseman this past season, certainly has the quality of size scouts are looking for. He stands 6’3″ and weighs in at 213 pounds. He was also a member of Canada’s team at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
His potential employment in the NHL next season would likely make him unavailable to play for Canada in 2015. But that’s a long ways off. Plenty still needs to happen before such a decision is made. The first round of the draft is June 27.
“That’s the way I believe in myself,” Ekblad told NHL.com. “I wouldn’t say I’m cocky but I’m confident and I believe that if I work hard and do all the little things, pay attention to details, I can be in that League next year.
Ekblad explains why he thinks the Panthers are the best fit for him
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)