Jun 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The 2014 Western Conference finals received the great game this spellbinding series deserved. Ultimately, the Los Angeles Kings edged the Chicago Blackhawks by a score of 5-4 in overtime to advance to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final against the New York Rangers.
The Kings saw their 3-1 series lead dissolve into a 3-3 tie, yet it gave them another chance to display their resounding resilience. They’ve done something that no other team has done: win three road Game 7’s in the same postseason. If nothing else, they would host the Rangers in a Game 7 if the championship round goes that far.
Martinez provided an interesting take on his team’s resiliency:
A fitting end
Really, Game 7 seemed like a microcosm of the 2014 Western Conference finals as a whole. There was a frenzy of goals, the Blackhawks’ leads barely lasted (Los Angeles tied it three times tonight) and then the contest settled into a nail-biter.
The first period provided that frenzy. The Blackhawks charged out to a 2-0 lead, yet some great shots and shaky goaltending ensured that there wasn’t a dull moment. Corey Crawford and Jonathan Quick likely didn’t feel very confident about their games going into the first intermission … although the familiarity of it all likely dulled that tension.
The two teams traded goals in the second period to set up a tense third period. With the Kings’ season on the line, Marian Gaborik found a way to push this series into the first conference final Game 7 overtime since the New York Rangers beat the New Jersey Devils back in 1994.
Quick made 37 out of 41 saves as he finished strong while Crawford had the toughest night even before that game-winner (which wasn’t really his fault), allowing five goals on 32 Kings shots.
This marks the Kings’ second Stanley Cup Final appearance in the last three seasons while Chicago’s title defense comes to an end. A lot can change in this parity-friendly salary cap era, yet the feeling is that these two teams may very well fight for the West crown for the foreseeable future.
If that’s the case, they’ll struggle to top this instant-classic series.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)