Jun 1, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Ben Bishop was one of the big feel good stories of the 2013-14 campaign — or at least he was for most of it. He struggled for years to ascend above the backup role and ran with the opportunity given to him by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The 27-year-old netminder had a 2.23 GAA and .924 save percentage in 63 games to earn a nomination for the Vezina Trophy and propel the Lightning into the playoffs. It all went sour though when Bishop sustained an elbow injury on April 8 that ultimately ended his campaign.
Although the extent of his injury wasn’t immediately known, in the locker room during the first intermission of that contest against the Toronto Maple Leafs, the prospect that he might not be able to play in the postseason after everything he and his teammates had gone through brought him to tears.
The fact that he was forced to watch the subsequent games from the press box probably didn’t help.
“Normally you’re at least backing up or in the locker room,” he told the Lightning’s website. “Being up there [in the press box], I felt helpless.”
Without him, the Lightning lost four straight games to the Montreal Canadiens in the first round. No other team has been swept in the 2014 playoffs.
Bishop has to put that behind him though and focus on starting from scratch.
“It almost feels like my year was incomplete by not being able to play in the playoffs,” Bishop said. “I have a target for next year; I’ll be ready for that. I’ll come back stronger and better by next year. I’m already excited.”
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 23
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)