Jun 1, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
It was almost exactly a decade ago that the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Calgary Flames in the 2004 Stanley Cup Final. Back then, Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis led the charge, finishing first and second respectively in the Lightning’s playoff scoring race.
Richards and St. Louis haven’t played in the final round since that series. A lot has happened and their uniforms have changed, but the New York Rangers duo is hoping that the ending will be the same.
“Never would have thought we’d be here today, in New York, doing it,” Richards said, per the Bergen Record. “Even to start the season, I never imagined Marty being here.”
St. Louis, who was acquired by the Rangers at the trade deadline, is one of the big reasons they’ve gotten this far. He went on a six-game point streak from May 11-25 as the Rangers dug themselves out of a hole against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round and then gained the upper hand versus Montreal in the Eastern Conference Final.
During that stretch, St. Louis scored the overtime winner against Montreal in Game 4 to give the Rangers a commanding 3-1 series lead that the Canadiens were unable to recover from.
When the 2013-14 campaign started, Richards and St. Louis didn’t have many playoff games under their belts. This time around, they will serve as the voices of experience on a Rangers’ club that hasn’t won a championship since 1994.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)