May 31, 2014, 5:22 PM EST
It’s official now.
The Minnesota Wild have agreed to a multi-year contract extension with head coach Mike Yeo, the club announced Saturday. The news comes after reports the two sides were closing in on a new deal.
With Yeo behind the bench, the Wild qualified for the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs in what was their first trip to the post-season since 2008 when they took the former Northwest Division. This year, they advanced to the second round of the playoffs, defeating the Colorado Avalanche in seven games and then taking the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to six games.
”I am very excited to continue to coach the Minnesota Wild and pursue a Stanley Cup for the State of Hockey,” said Yeo in a statement released by the club.
“Our fan support has been amazing and it went to a new level during the playoffs this season. We are all motivated to reward them.”
Added general manager Chuck Fletcher: “Mike has done a very good job the last three seasons as our Head Coach and we look forward to his leadership going forward.”
The Wild finished the 2013-14 regular season with a 43-27-12 record, good enough for 98 points and fourth in the highly competitive Central Division. Mixed in there along the way was a six-game losing streak through the end of December and into early January.
But even then, players were quick to defend their coach, and that included captain Mikko Koivu. He put the onus for their mid-season struggles squarely on the players rather than the team’s system or its coach.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)