May 31, 2014, 5:22 PM EST
It’s official now.
The Minnesota Wild have agreed to a multi-year contract extension with head coach Mike Yeo, the club announced Saturday. The news comes after reports the two sides were closing in on a new deal.
With Yeo behind the bench, the Wild qualified for the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs in what was their first trip to the post-season since 2008 when they took the former Northwest Division. This year, they advanced to the second round of the playoffs, defeating the Colorado Avalanche in seven games and then taking the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to six games.
”I am very excited to continue to coach the Minnesota Wild and pursue a Stanley Cup for the State of Hockey,” said Yeo in a statement released by the club.
“Our fan support has been amazing and it went to a new level during the playoffs this season. We are all motivated to reward them.”
Added general manager Chuck Fletcher: “Mike has done a very good job the last three seasons as our Head Coach and we look forward to his leadership going forward.”
The Wild finished the 2013-14 regular season with a 43-27-12 record, good enough for 98 points and fourth in the highly competitive Central Division. Mixed in there along the way was a six-game losing streak through the end of December and into early January.
But even then, players were quick to defend their coach, and that included captain Mikko Koivu. He put the onus for their mid-season struggles squarely on the players rather than the team’s system or its coach.
- Report: Devils fire coach DeBoer 0
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)