May 31, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings can still advance to their second Stanley Cup Final in three years. But for a third consecutive series in these playoffs, it will require a Game 7.
The Kings fell 4-3 to the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night. A win, and they would’ve punched their ticket to face the New York Rangers in the championship series. Now, they must fly back to Chicago to take on the defending Stanley Cup champs on their home turf in the United Center.
Friday’s game was wildly entertaining, with skilled players making big plays at important times. The Kings fell behind after two periods, but quickly regained the lead in the third, only to have it slip away thanks to the play of Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane.
Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, who was also sensational in the final 20 minutes, despite the loss, was defiant about the situation his team now faces. Dating back to their historic first round series win over San Jose, all three Game 7s the Kings have found themselves in during this post-season have been on the road.
“I’m frustrated, but I’m over it pretty quickly. We’ve got another game to play, Game 7,” said Doughty, as per LA Kings Insider. “We’ve had two chances to close out this series and we’re not going to blow the third one.
“Yeah, it helps and I think this is a good thing for our hockey club. I don’t think we played enough desperate hockey these last two games and I think that’s kind of why we lost both of them. It’s about time that we get to that type of game that the LA Kings play.”
L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t have much to say to his team about Friday’s loss. Only this one-liner, typical Darryl Sutter style.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)