May 31, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings can still advance to their second Stanley Cup Final in three years. But for a third consecutive series in these playoffs, it will require a Game 7.
The Kings fell 4-3 to the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night. A win, and they would’ve punched their ticket to face the New York Rangers in the championship series. Now, they must fly back to Chicago to take on the defending Stanley Cup champs on their home turf in the United Center.
Friday’s game was wildly entertaining, with skilled players making big plays at important times. The Kings fell behind after two periods, but quickly regained the lead in the third, only to have it slip away thanks to the play of Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane.
Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, who was also sensational in the final 20 minutes, despite the loss, was defiant about the situation his team now faces. Dating back to their historic first round series win over San Jose, all three Game 7s the Kings have found themselves in during this post-season have been on the road.
“I’m frustrated, but I’m over it pretty quickly. We’ve got another game to play, Game 7,” said Doughty, as per LA Kings Insider. “We’ve had two chances to close out this series and we’re not going to blow the third one.
“Yeah, it helps and I think this is a good thing for our hockey club. I don’t think we played enough desperate hockey these last two games and I think that’s kind of why we lost both of them. It’s about time that we get to that type of game that the LA Kings play.”
L.A.’s head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t have much to say to his team about Friday’s loss. Only this one-liner, typical Darryl Sutter style.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)