May 31, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are still without a head coach after parting ways with Peter Horachek, but GM Dale Tallon is building up a list of candidates.
Harvey Fialkov of The Sun Sentinel reports the team will talk with Montreal Canadiens assistant Gerard Gallant and Detroit Red Wings assistant Bill Peters about their coaching opening.
Those two are added to a list including former Stanley Cup winning coach Marc Crawford and former Rangers/Oilers coach and current Wings assistant Tom Renney.
Tallon has history with Peters from his days with the Chicago Blackhawks organization. Peters was hired to coach the ‘Hawks’ farm team in Rockford in 2008 while Tallon was the GM in Chicago.
Gallant has some NHL coaching history as he was an assistant in Columbus and with the New York Islanders and was head coach of the Blue Jackets for parts of three seasons. He replaced Doug MacLean during the 2003-04 season and was fired after 20 games in 2006 before being replaced by Ken Hitchcock.
Since then, he spent three years coaching the St. John Sea Dogs in the QMJHL and has been Michel Therrien’s assistant the past two seasons in Montreal.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)