May 31, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
P.K. Subban, an impending restricted free agent this summer when his current two-year, $5.75 million contract with the Montreal Canadiens expires, enjoyed a career season on both team and individual levels.
And, when it comes to his next contract, that is sure to mean a big raise in both dollars and length of term.
Subban, 25, has already emerged onto the NHL scene as one of its young, star defensemen, winning the Norris Trophy last year. But he took his game to new levels in 2013-14, setting career highs in regular season games played (82); assists (43) and points (53). He also put up 14 points in 17 playoff games for the Habs, as they made it to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final.
Oh, and he was named to Canada’s Olympic hockey team, which captured gold in Sochi. And although he did play much for the Red and White, Hockey Canada’s brass, led at the time by Steve Yzerman, trusted him enough to bring him on board the team as it set out to defend its Olympic title from 2010, which it successfully did.
“I’m sure everybody in hockey wants a long-term contract, but for me, it’s not just about that,” said Subban, as per The Canadian Press. “It’s about being part of a team that can win a championship, and I believe we have that in this dressing room.
“When it comes to contract stuff, that’s why I hire my agent (Don Meehan). That’s why we pay him. That’s his job and I’ll let him do his job. I’ve done mine, and he’ll do his.”
It was reported in November that contract talks between Subban’s agent Meehan and Habs general manager Marc Bergevin.
Subban is a RFA at season’s end and should be in line for a big payday. It’s possible his agent, Don Meehan, will be eyeballing the seven-year, $45.5 million deal Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson got on the heels of his Norris award . . .
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)