May 31, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
P.K. Subban, an impending restricted free agent this summer when his current two-year, $5.75 million contract with the Montreal Canadiens expires, enjoyed a career season on both team and individual levels.
And, when it comes to his next contract, that is sure to mean a big raise in both dollars and length of term.
Subban, 25, has already emerged onto the NHL scene as one of its young, star defensemen, winning the Norris Trophy last year. But he took his game to new levels in 2013-14, setting career highs in regular season games played (82); assists (43) and points (53). He also put up 14 points in 17 playoff games for the Habs, as they made it to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final.
Oh, and he was named to Canada’s Olympic hockey team, which captured gold in Sochi. And although he did play much for the Red and White, Hockey Canada’s brass, led at the time by Steve Yzerman, trusted him enough to bring him on board the team as it set out to defend its Olympic title from 2010, which it successfully did.
“I’m sure everybody in hockey wants a long-term contract, but for me, it’s not just about that,” said Subban, as per The Canadian Press. “It’s about being part of a team that can win a championship, and I believe we have that in this dressing room.
“When it comes to contract stuff, that’s why I hire my agent (Don Meehan). That’s why we pay him. That’s his job and I’ll let him do his job. I’ve done mine, and he’ll do his.”
It was reported in November that contract talks between Subban’s agent Meehan and Habs general manager Marc Bergevin.
Subban is a RFA at season’s end and should be in line for a big payday. It’s possible his agent, Don Meehan, will be eyeballing the seven-year, $45.5 million deal Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson got on the heels of his Norris award . . .
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)