May 31, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
It’s a winner-take-all scenario to decide the Western Conference.
The Chicago Blackhawks host the L.A. Kings in Game 7 of the Western Conference Final on Sunday, after the Blackhawks pushed the series to its ultimate conclusion with a win in Game 6 on Friday. It’s also the ultimate conclusion to a very entertaining series that has seen Chicago come back from a three-games-to-one deficit.
“I’m excited we’re home. I’m really excited we’re playing Game 7. It’s a good opportunity,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told reporters. “We got momentum, so let’s go. It’s one game, but there’s a lot at stake. I’m sure the guys are going to have a lot of fun with it.”
Regardless of which team has momentum or which doesn’t, it’s still a battle between two teams that have clearly set the standard in the Western Conference. The Blackhawks could earn their third Stanley Cup Final berth in the last five years. The Kings went to the final and won the Stanley Cup in 2012.
The Blackhawks and Kings have combined to win three of the last four Stanley Cup championships. The New York Rangers, champs in the Eastern Conference, await the winner.
“I think this series deserves a Game 7,” Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson told the Chicago Tribune. “I think that the crowd deserves it too. I think it’s going to be a great finish to a great series. Hopefully we’ll be the winner.”
Of course, the Kings will likely have something to say about that.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)