May 31, 2014, 12:54 PM EST
Thomas Vanek‘s run with the Montreal Canadiens ended on a low note and as the team packs up for the summer, he told reporters he’s got a lot to think about as he heads to free agency.
Vanek had no goals and two assists in the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers. Overall in the playoffs, he had five goals and 10 points with four of the five goals coming against the Boston Bruins.
So why did he struggle against New York? It wasn’t because he was hurt.
Vanek had been on a line with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty but was eventually moved to the third line with Daniel Briere and Rene Bourque. That adjustment was apparently tough for Vanek to make.
“I was put in a position to do well here and once I got moved I struggled, couldn’t find chemistry,” Vanek said.
As for whether or not he could see himself returning to Montreal, he said he could because he wants to play for a winning team and that’s what they have there. All that said, Vanek said he’s excited for the summer and to be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.
The only question now is who will come calling for him after such a disappointing finish with the Habs.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)