May 31, 2014, 12:54 PM EST
Thomas Vanek‘s run with the Montreal Canadiens ended on a low note and as the team packs up for the summer, he told reporters he’s got a lot to think about as he heads to free agency.
Vanek had no goals and two assists in the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers. Overall in the playoffs, he had five goals and 10 points with four of the five goals coming against the Boston Bruins.
So why did he struggle against New York? It wasn’t because he was hurt.
Vanek had been on a line with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty but was eventually moved to the third line with Daniel Briere and Rene Bourque. That adjustment was apparently tough for Vanek to make.
“I was put in a position to do well here and once I got moved I struggled, couldn’t find chemistry,” Vanek said.
As for whether or not he could see himself returning to Montreal, he said he could because he wants to play for a winning team and that’s what they have there. All that said, Vanek said he’s excited for the summer and to be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.
The only question now is who will come calling for him after such a disappointing finish with the Habs.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)