May 31, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Thomas Vanek‘s run with the Montreal Canadiens ended on a low note and as the team packs up for the summer, he told reporters he’s got a lot to think about as he heads to free agency.
Vanek had no goals and two assists in the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers. Overall in the playoffs, he had five goals and 10 points with four of the five goals coming against the Boston Bruins.
So why did he struggle against New York? It wasn’t because he was hurt.
Vanek said he's not injured, just never found any chemistry once he was removed from top line. Lack of shots was due to lack of chemistry—
Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) May 31, 2014
Vanek had been on a line with David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty but was eventually moved to the third line with Daniel Briere and Rene Bourque. That adjustment was apparently tough for Vanek to make.
“I was put in a position to do well here and once I got moved I struggled, couldn’t find chemistry,” Vanek said.
As for whether or not he could see himself returning to Montreal, he said he could because he wants to play for a winning team and that’s what they have there. All that said, Vanek said he’s excited for the summer and to be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.
The only question now is who will come calling for him after such a disappointing finish with the Habs.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33