May 31, 2014, 12:32 AM EST
It looked not too long ago like the Chicago Blackhawks were done trying to defend their Stanley Cup championship. But, like the old adage states, where there’s a will, there’s a way.
The Blackhawks were down 3-1 in this Western Conference Final against the L.A. Kings. But they won Game 5 in double overtime, then leaned on Patrick Kane to provide the heroics in what was a thrilling third-period comeback win in Game 6 on Friday.
We’re off to Game 7. It’s been a terrific series, but it seems the best has yet to come.
“I don’t think anything motivates you like having your back against the wall,” Toews added.
The Blackhawks not only trailed in this series, to the point where they’re going to need three wins just to advance, but they fell behind the Kings twice – once in the first period and again in the third. Kane went to work, setting up Duncan Keith for the equalizer before scoring the winner.
The deciding game in this series goes Sunday. Both teams have the experience of long playoff runs and championships. The Blackhawks are Stanley Cup winners from a year ago. The Kings took the silver chalice in 2012.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)