May 31, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
It looked not too long ago like the Chicago Blackhawks were done trying to defend their Stanley Cup championship. But, like the old adage states, where there’s a will, there’s a way.
The Blackhawks were down 3-1 in this Western Conference Final against the L.A. Kings. But they won Game 5 in double overtime, then leaned on Patrick Kane to provide the heroics in what was a thrilling third-period comeback win in Game 6 on Friday.
We’re off to Game 7. It’s been a terrific series, but it seems the best has yet to come.
“I don’t think anything motivates you like having your back against the wall,” Toews added.
The Blackhawks not only trailed in this series, to the point where they’re going to need three wins just to advance, but they fell behind the Kings twice – once in the first period and again in the third. Kane went to work, setting up Duncan Keith for the equalizer before scoring the winner.
The deciding game in this series goes Sunday. Both teams have the experience of long playoff runs and championships. The Blackhawks are Stanley Cup winners from a year ago. The Kings took the silver chalice in 2012.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)