May 31, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
It looked not too long ago like the Chicago Blackhawks were done trying to defend their Stanley Cup championship. But, like the old adage states, where there’s a will, there’s a way.
The Blackhawks were down 3-1 in this Western Conference Final against the L.A. Kings. But they won Game 5 in double overtime, then leaned on Patrick Kane to provide the heroics in what was a thrilling third-period comeback win in Game 6 on Friday.
We’re off to Game 7. It’s been a terrific series, but it seems the best has yet to come.
“I don’t think anything motivates you like having your back against the wall,” Toews added.
The Blackhawks not only trailed in this series, to the point where they’re going to need three wins just to advance, but they fell behind the Kings twice – once in the first period and again in the third. Kane went to work, setting up Duncan Keith for the equalizer before scoring the winner.
The deciding game in this series goes Sunday. Both teams have the experience of long playoff runs and championships. The Blackhawks are Stanley Cup winners from a year ago. The Kings took the silver chalice in 2012.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)