May 31, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
When his team needed it the most, Patrick Kane stepped up and delivered.
He assisted Duncan Keith on the game-tying goal in the third period of Friday’s thrilling Game 6 against the L.A. Kings, then scored the winner with less than four minutes remaining in regulation time. With his contributions – he also got Chicago on the board in the second period – the Blackhawks defeated the Kings to force a Game 7 on Sunday.
He’s shown in the past an ability to step up in key situations. He’s averaged a point-per-game in these playoffs, with eight points in the last three games. In 92 post-season games with Chicago since 2008-09, he’s recorded 89 points. His overtime goal against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 earned the Blackhawks their first Stanley Cup victory since 1961.
When the game is on the line, Kane has shown an ability to thrive.
“He doesn’t say too much, but he wants to take charge and do it on the ice,” said Chicago’s head coach Joel Quenneville, as per the L.A. Times. “His actions on the ice in the last two games speak very loudly about the kind of competitor he is and what kind of player he is. He made us a couple plays in that third period that are moving us forward.
“Bigger the stage, he likes that challenge. Special player he can get it done as good as anyone in the game.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)