May 31, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
When his team needed it the most, Patrick Kane stepped up and delivered.
He assisted Duncan Keith on the game-tying goal in the third period of Friday’s thrilling Game 6 against the L.A. Kings, then scored the winner with less than four minutes remaining in regulation time. With his contributions – he also got Chicago on the board in the second period – the Blackhawks defeated the Kings to force a Game 7 on Sunday.
He’s shown in the past an ability to step up in key situations. He’s averaged a point-per-game in these playoffs, with eight points in the last three games. In 92 post-season games with Chicago since 2008-09, he’s recorded 89 points. His overtime goal against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 earned the Blackhawks their first Stanley Cup victory since 1961.
When the game is on the line, Kane has shown an ability to thrive.
“He doesn’t say too much, but he wants to take charge and do it on the ice,” said Chicago’s head coach Joel Quenneville, as per the L.A. Times. “His actions on the ice in the last two games speak very loudly about the kind of competitor he is and what kind of player he is. He made us a couple plays in that third period that are moving us forward.
“Bigger the stage, he likes that challenge. Special player he can get it done as good as anyone in the game.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)