May 31, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
When his team needed it the most, Patrick Kane stepped up and delivered.
He assisted Duncan Keith on the game-tying goal in the third period of Friday’s thrilling Game 6 against the L.A. Kings, then scored the winner with less than four minutes remaining in regulation time. With his contributions – he also got Chicago on the board in the second period – the Blackhawks defeated the Kings to force a Game 7 on Sunday.
He’s shown in the past an ability to step up in key situations. He’s averaged a point-per-game in these playoffs, with eight points in the last three games. In 92 post-season games with Chicago since 2008-09, he’s recorded 89 points. His overtime goal against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 earned the Blackhawks their first Stanley Cup victory since 1961.
When the game is on the line, Kane has shown an ability to thrive.
“He doesn’t say too much, but he wants to take charge and do it on the ice,” said Chicago’s head coach Joel Quenneville, as per the L.A. Times. “His actions on the ice in the last two games speak very loudly about the kind of competitor he is and what kind of player he is. He made us a couple plays in that third period that are moving us forward.
“Bigger the stage, he likes that challenge. Special player he can get it done as good as anyone in the game.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)