May 31, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
When his team needed it the most, Patrick Kane stepped up and delivered.
He assisted Duncan Keith on the game-tying goal in the third period of Friday’s thrilling Game 6 against the L.A. Kings, then scored the winner with less than four minutes remaining in regulation time. With his contributions – he also got Chicago on the board in the second period – the Blackhawks defeated the Kings to force a Game 7 on Sunday.
He’s shown in the past an ability to step up in key situations. He’s averaged a point-per-game in these playoffs, with eight points in the last three games. In 92 post-season games with Chicago since 2008-09, he’s recorded 89 points. His overtime goal against the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010 earned the Blackhawks their first Stanley Cup victory since 1961.
When the game is on the line, Kane has shown an ability to thrive.
“He doesn’t say too much, but he wants to take charge and do it on the ice,” said Chicago’s head coach Joel Quenneville, as per the L.A. Times. “His actions on the ice in the last two games speak very loudly about the kind of competitor he is and what kind of player he is. He made us a couple plays in that third period that are moving us forward.
“Bigger the stage, he likes that challenge. Special player he can get it done as good as anyone in the game.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)