May 30, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
PK Subban is going to get paid. That much we know. It may not be the smoothest negotiation for the 25-year-old restricted free agent — it sure wasn’t last time — but it’s hard to imagine the Montreal Canadiens and their star defenseman not getting a long-term deal hammered out eventually. If they don’t, well, you’ll hear all about it on PHT. That’s a promise.
Andrei Markov is a different story. The 35-year-old is a pending unrestricted free agent, coming off a three-year, $17.25 million contract. He had a big role with the Habs this season, leading the club in average ice time (25:14), with 43 points to boot.
But how much is he worth to the Canadiens going forward? Is it as much as he could get on the open market? How badly does he want to remain in Montreal? How many years does he want? Would two years for $10 million get it done? Three years for $12 million?
We’ll find out soon enough. But if they don’t get something done, all those minutes he logged will have to be split up somehow.
The Canadiens do have a few young defensemen waiting in the wings, like Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu, and Greg Pateryn. Plus, Josh Gorges and Alexei Emelin are each signed through 2017-18. And Montreal could always add another d-man in free agency or in a trade.
Still, losing Markov would present a challenge, not to mention mark the end of an era. The Russian native has never played for another NHL team, suiting up for 765 games in a Habs uniform, plus 71 more in the playoffs.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)