May 30, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks put together an old line in Game 5 and it seemed to work wonders for them. Now the Los Angeles Kings have something to beware of heading into Game 6.
The trio of Brandon Saad, Andrew Shaw, and Patrick Kane gave the Kings fits on Wednesday night. That line teamed up for a goal in the first period and helped produce two others including Michal Handzus‘ double-overtime game winner.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter seems to have one idea on how to slow them down as Curtis Zupke of NHL.com shared.
Sutter, who didn’t talk about Chicago’s changes after Game 5, acknowledged Thursday “the adjustment was we couldn’t keep up with Saad.” Asked about having the answer to counter the line, Sutter said, “The guys that played against them last night were not on top of their game, and that’s the answer.”
With Game 6 on home ice for the Kings, that means they’ll get the chance to get the match-up they’re looking for. The curious question is which line gets the call?
Anze Kopitar‘s line has been matched up almost exclusively against Jonathan Toews‘ line and “That 70s Line” with Jeff Carter up the middle may not be a great defensive fit. This sounds like a job for Mike Richards‘ line.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)