May 30, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
From the NHL’s morning email:
* Ryan McDonagh registered the secondary assist on Moore’s goal and finished the series with eight helpers and 10 points, tops among both teams. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he became the first defenseman in Rangers history to collect eight assists in a playoff series and only the second to record at least 10 points. The other: Brian Leetch, who posted 5-6—11 in the 1994 Stanley Cup Final vs. VAN en route to capturing the Conn Smythe Trophy.
We’ve written a lot about McDonagh in these playoffs. The 24-year-old didn’t have a great start to the postseason, perhaps still feeling the effects of a late-season shoulder injury (courtesy Vancouver’s Alex Burrows).
McDonagh is back in form now though; he outplayed Montreal’s PK Subban in the Eastern Conference Final, and he’ll need to stay in form in the Stanley Cup Final against either the Kings or Blackhawks, each of whom boast elite d-men in Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith, respectively.
PS — Good trip down memory lane here, Rangers fans. (“I’ve been sitting here alone in the White House watching this, cheering for you, biting my fingernails, screaming and yelling. It’s been great, it was a wonderful game.”)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)