May 30, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
From the NHL’s morning email:
* Ryan McDonagh registered the secondary assist on Moore’s goal and finished the series with eight helpers and 10 points, tops among both teams. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he became the first defenseman in Rangers history to collect eight assists in a playoff series and only the second to record at least 10 points. The other: Brian Leetch, who posted 5-6—11 in the 1994 Stanley Cup Final vs. VAN en route to capturing the Conn Smythe Trophy.
We’ve written a lot about McDonagh in these playoffs. The 24-year-old didn’t have a great start to the postseason, perhaps still feeling the effects of a late-season shoulder injury (courtesy Vancouver’s Alex Burrows).
McDonagh is back in form now though; he outplayed Montreal’s PK Subban in the Eastern Conference Final, and he’ll need to stay in form in the Stanley Cup Final against either the Kings or Blackhawks, each of whom boast elite d-men in Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith, respectively.
PS — Good trip down memory lane here, Rangers fans. (“I’ve been sitting here alone in the White House watching this, cheering for you, biting my fingernails, screaming and yelling. It’s been great, it was a wonderful game.”)
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)