May 30, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Another day, another general manager suggesting this offseason could see plenty of deals.
This time it’s Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, who told the Free Press he expects some serious trade talks among teams this summer, adding that the Jets are already having those conversations.
“For all the changes happening in the league, I think there’s a strong appetite among teams to want to talk about making changes,” Cheveldayoff explained. “We are certainly in that mix of talking, to find out if there’s a way to trade, whether it’s a big asset, a middle asset, whatever asset. You sit and talk to see if there’s a chance that something can fit with something you’re looking for.
“I think with this year’s crop of free agents, you’re really starting to see where the trend of locking up players for long term has lessened the number of players that would have otherwise entered free agency.”
Cheveldayoff isn’t alone in his thinking.
Two weeks ago, Dallas GM Jim Nill said he expected “there could be a lot of moves” at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft — to be held in Philly on June 27-28 — because of teams looking to move salaries. That came after Florida GM Dale Tallon said he’d “definitely” be shopping the first overall selection at the draft, which was followed by Isles GM Garth Snow saying his club would “absolutely” be willing to move the No. 5 pick.
It’s also worth noting that summer trades could occur in large part to all the new GMs across the league. Buffalo’s Tim Murray, Calgary’s Brad Treliving, Carolina’s Ron Francis, Philly’s Ron Hextall, Pittsburgh’s Jason Botterill (interim), Vancouver’s Jim Benning and Washington’s Brian MacLellan are heading into their first drafts and free agency periods in charge, and could be looking to either stamp their mark on their respective clubs… or try to undo their predecessors’ work.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)