May 30, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
Another day, another general manager suggesting this offseason could see plenty of deals.
This time it’s Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, who told the Free Press he expects some serious trade talks among teams this summer, adding that the Jets are already having those conversations.
“For all the changes happening in the league, I think there’s a strong appetite among teams to want to talk about making changes,” Cheveldayoff explained. “We are certainly in that mix of talking, to find out if there’s a way to trade, whether it’s a big asset, a middle asset, whatever asset. You sit and talk to see if there’s a chance that something can fit with something you’re looking for.
“I think with this year’s crop of free agents, you’re really starting to see where the trend of locking up players for long term has lessened the number of players that would have otherwise entered free agency.”
Cheveldayoff isn’t alone in his thinking.
Two weeks ago, Dallas GM Jim Nill said he expected “there could be a lot of moves” at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft — to be held in Philly on June 27-28 — because of teams looking to move salaries. That came after Florida GM Dale Tallon said he’d “definitely” be shopping the first overall selection at the draft, which was followed by Isles GM Garth Snow saying his club would “absolutely” be willing to move the No. 5 pick.
It’s also worth noting that summer trades could occur in large part to all the new GMs across the league. Buffalo’s Tim Murray, Calgary’s Brad Treliving, Carolina’s Ron Francis, Philly’s Ron Hextall, Pittsburgh’s Jason Botterill (interim), Vancouver’s Jim Benning and Washington’s Brian MacLellan are heading into their first drafts and free agency periods in charge, and could be looking to either stamp their mark on their respective clubs… or try to undo their predecessors’ work.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 2
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56