May 30, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
Another day, another general manager suggesting this offseason could see plenty of deals.
This time it’s Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff, who told the Free Press he expects some serious trade talks among teams this summer, adding that the Jets are already having those conversations.
“For all the changes happening in the league, I think there’s a strong appetite among teams to want to talk about making changes,” Cheveldayoff explained. “We are certainly in that mix of talking, to find out if there’s a way to trade, whether it’s a big asset, a middle asset, whatever asset. You sit and talk to see if there’s a chance that something can fit with something you’re looking for.
“I think with this year’s crop of free agents, you’re really starting to see where the trend of locking up players for long term has lessened the number of players that would have otherwise entered free agency.”
Cheveldayoff isn’t alone in his thinking.
Two weeks ago, Dallas GM Jim Nill said he expected “there could be a lot of moves” at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft — to be held in Philly on June 27-28 — because of teams looking to move salaries. That came after Florida GM Dale Tallon said he’d “definitely” be shopping the first overall selection at the draft, which was followed by Isles GM Garth Snow saying his club would “absolutely” be willing to move the No. 5 pick.
It’s also worth noting that summer trades could occur in large part to all the new GMs across the league. Buffalo’s Tim Murray, Calgary’s Brad Treliving, Carolina’s Ron Francis, Philly’s Ron Hextall, Pittsburgh’s Jason Botterill (interim), Vancouver’s Jim Benning and Washington’s Brian MacLellan are heading into their first drafts and free agency periods in charge, and could be looking to either stamp their mark on their respective clubs… or try to undo their predecessors’ work.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)