Coyotes’ Smith wants more severe penalty for goalie interference

May 30, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT

Mike Smith AP

Coyotes netminder Mike Smith thinks the NHL should take a cue from the NFL and do more to protect goalies.

“They really solidified that in football when they brought in the rule of roughing the passer, and it’s a huge penalty for your team when that happens,” Smith said, per azcentral. “I personally don’t think the penalty is severe enough for a goaltender interference call.”

If the sole goal is to better protect the players, Smith may be onto something.

That being said, does the NFL only protect quarterbacks (and receivers, for that matter) for the good of the players’ health? Or, is there another reason for it? Like, more points being scored.

Follow-up question: would protecting goalies through tougher interference penalties increase scoring? Because we’d argue it would do the opposite, by making skaters more hesitant to crash the crease.

Not that goalies shouldn’t be protected, but obviously there are potential consequences to any rule change that need to be considered.

Related: Kadri suspended three games for running Backstrom

1. pirovash88 - May 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I’d like a penalty for douche bag goaltenders like Smith who like to whack at people’s legs when they’re being screened by players sitting in front of the net.

• comeonnowguys - May 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Or hit skaters high as they skate for the end board.

• oldfatbaldguy - May 30, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Or fake an injury to get a whistle to relieve pressure. Yeah, probably not the best choice of a spokesman for abused goaltenders.

• flowerdew - May 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM

oldfatbaldguy – pretty much exactly what I clicked on the headline to say.

2. comeonnowguys - May 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM

He should have let ANY other goaltender make that statement.

Skaters are getting sent to the box for getting pushed by the defensemen as it is. I would like to see them get that settled first.

3. thailer35 - May 30, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Roughing the passer, aka the don’t touch Tom Brady rule, is by far the worst rule in the NFL.

From a Coyotes fan, Mike, stop whining and stop flopping.

4. jpat2424 - May 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM

How bout bigger penalty for goalie flops. Huh mike

5. dollasnsense - May 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Of course he does cause the yotes can’t score 5v5 and need all the power play they can get…

Mike “Flop” Smith is the last guy who should make this comment…

6. thesportsjudge - May 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM

“Goalies that have suffered injuries upon being bowled over by hard-charging skaters — like, say, Montreal’s Carey Price — might agree.”

No mention of slow-footed defensemen who take down those hard charging forwards?

7. joey4id - May 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Someone’s been reading my comments… ;-)

joey4id – May 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    “95 percent of the people in hockey knew Kreider didn’t want to hurt [Montreal goalie Carey] Price [in Game 1],”

I agree he didn’t want to hurt Price, but that’s not the question. Did Kreider do enough to avoid running into Price?

The NHL should do more to protect the goalies. Matter of fact they should do as much to protect them as they do to protect players against head shots. The rule has to be written to force players to be much less reckless. All goals scored when goalie contact is apparent should be reviewed, and all contact with the goalie should be subject to supplemental discipline whether or not a penalty was assessed during the game. If Prust’s hit is subject to supplemental discipline (for trying to finish his check) then any player who “accidentally on purpose” runs a goalie should be subject to supplemental discipline as well.

• 19to77 - May 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM

You know, you actually make some legitimately insightful comments sometimes. If you didn’t precede basically all of them with arrogant nonsense like “Someone’s been reading my comments” or “Clearly X coach or player reads my posts” you’d probably be a fairly respected commentator on this board. Just saying – you actually do make good points sometimes, but you cut yourself off at the knees every time you jerk yourself off like that. Why do you bother? It puzzles me.

• joey4id - May 30, 2014 at 7:33 PM

That’s a fair question, and I’m never one shy away from a question. It wasn’t always like that. It started after commenters were constantly replying to my opinions with disparaging remarks regardless of how passive my comments were. I’ve never been one to shy away from a jab either, so I would counter would reposts. Then I added “Someone’s been reading my comments” or “Clearly X coach or player reads my posts” for effect and attempt at being funny, and now it’s become a thing. It rubs some the wrong way, and some it doesn’t bother at all. I’m not here to win a popularity contest, but I do jab, and never the first to jab.

When I first came to this site it was to talk hockey, and I was shocked by all the thrash exchanges and insults being posted. Once you get accustomed to the nonsense you just play along. Personally I’m disappointed to read so much merde on here, and wonder why more are not banned considering they add little value to the hockey talk.

There you have it. If I were you, I would take the perceived arrogance with a grain of salt. It’s like watching Subban play. Look pass the noise and see the guy for the player he really is.

Cheers!

8. 19to77 - May 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM

He would. Mike Smith dives more than the entire Canadiens roster put together.

9. justinhbhb - May 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Good call Joey. If Henrik was in Price’s shoes Rangers fans would act just like my fellow Habs fans. I think when in a situation where there is a possibility of “accidently on purpose”; when a trip or cross check is involved I think SOMETHING should be done. Maybe a warning with a threat of more severe penalties if it occurs again… Idk. It’s just sad to see how a simple act can change the course of a teams success… Regardless if it’s Mtl or Phoenix. Apparently Kreider has a history of similar events and I’m sure others do to.. Like Gallagher!

• joey4id - May 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM

In 80 or so games Kreider ran a goalie 14 times.

• stakex - May 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM

That’s just nonsense though. Kreider was tripped on his way to the net. There is irrefutable video evidence of the trip…. and he was heading in on net at full speed when it happened. No one outside of Montreal that knows anything about hockey would blame Kreider at all for what happened.

As such, the idea that Kreider should receive some sort of warning because some idiot tripped him makes no sense. The reason Kreider has on occasion made contact with goaltenders is because he drives the net… and defensemen have a tendency to trip, or pushing, him into the net. That doesn’t make it malicious.

Now how would I feel if the same thing happened to Lundqvist? I would be pissed, sure…. who wouldn’t be? However I wouldn’t ignore obvious video evidence and invent some sort of “accidently on purpose” nonsense to blame a player that was obviously tripped into him. I don’t lie to myself like that.

10. westinpat - May 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I would say something about Smith diving or faking injury but that’s already been handled here. Next topic.

• thesportsjudge - May 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Once reading the headline, I’m sure it was assumed about Smith anyway. I know I assimilated it.

11. McFaddensPulledHammy - May 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Coming from the guy who spends more time outside the blue paint than Andrew Shaw (just needed to get that in there).

12. sloid - May 30, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Says Mike Smith, the flopping ballerina in a class of his own.

13. sjsharks66 - May 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM

You mean the guys with 40 pounds of pads? More severe penalties for Smiths slashes to the backs of players legs sounds better.

14. joey4id - May 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I don’t know which goalie nowadays is on the player’s competion committee. There was a time it was Brodeur, and he apparently slammed the door on the way out because no one wanted to institute rules to protect the goalie. NHL GMs & team governors will have to address the issue this summer.

15. tapefolie - May 30, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I wouldn’t know I don’t watch football

16. barkar942 - May 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Here is a list of the things I would like to see the NHL change.
    1) Goaltender interference. A quick review after the call is made to see if the player was pushed in by the defensive player. If so, reverse the call and send the defensive player in for delay of game. That will put a stop to the defensive players shoving the offensive players into their own goalie trying to get a call.
    2) Any player on the ice gets cut. A quick review to see if the player was high sticked by the opposing team, or whether he was cut in some other non-punishable manner. Too many times (Chris Drury for the Rangers against Washington in I think ’09 when he was severely high sticked and no penalty was called and Washington scored the game winner while he was down on the ice) the calls are missed.
    3)Puck over the glass for a delay of game call. Let Toronto make the call if the refs on the ice are unsure. Then, teams would be penalized if deserved, and not penalized when not deserved.
    4)Embellishing should be reviewed from every game by the NHL and fine the guilty players $5000 per infraction they are caught at after games are over.
    For the amount of times in a game that it would be necessary to look at these things, you might add 3 minutes to a game, and the results would be more fair.

17. blueshirtsfaithful - May 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

joey4id – STFU you trolling POS!!! I’m tired of you talking bad about every team in the NHL. Have fun golfing

18. mizzike20 - May 31, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Notice that this and concussions have only become relevant topics since the League’s Midget High Priest of Darkness decided to change fundamental rules in the game, like removing the red line, allowing the goaltender to play the puck, putting out two referees instead of one, and discouraging the players to police the game themselves?

19. canadatude - May 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Simple penalty for dirty plays like this. Offending player and starting goalie (Lundquist) should be suspended for as long as the goalie (Price) is unable to play.
    Run the other teams’ top goalie and yours is out too.

• thesportsjudge - May 31, 2014 at 9:00 AM

It becomes a judgement call in a case like the Price situation(and more.) I, for one, don’t think CP was “run.” If fans think there is ref favoritism now, I couldn’t envision it in a situation where the “running” teams’ goalie would be forced to sit on a judgement call.

• cofran2004 - May 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM

yes, and you are obviously an impartial source from which we should all take advice. Ya know, which a name like canadatude, you’re clearly a voice of fairness, and not at all a bitter montreal fan who’s sad that his team is now golfing.

• barkar942 - May 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Not golfing- they are Mini-Golfing! Too tired to play the real game. Especially their defense. Just ask Pierre!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches