May 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
If new Vancouver general manager Jim Benning really does think the Canucks can be turned around “in a hurry,” he may want to seriously consider getting some insurance in goal.
Today on Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio, Benning didn’t dismiss the possibility of signing a veteran goalie, one we assume would compete for starting time with Lack while Markstrom played regularly in the AHL.
“We’re going to look at every avenue we have to make our team competitive. Vancouver is a big-market city, we’ve got a passionate fan base, [and] our owners want to win,” Benning said (audio).
If Benning does decide to pursue a veteran goalie, Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller are pending unrestricted free agents that could be a fit in Vancouver, if the price is right. (We’ve already written plenty on the limited market for the former.)
Or, Benning could roll the dice on the two youngsters in goal, while instead spending cap space on a scoring forward.
Of course, what happens with Ryan Kesler — will he be traded? and if he is, what’s the return? — may need to be decided before any goaltending decision is made.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)