May 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
If new Vancouver general manager Jim Benning really does think the Canucks can be turned around “in a hurry,” he may want to seriously consider getting some insurance in goal.
Today on Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio, Benning didn’t dismiss the possibility of signing a veteran goalie, one we assume would compete for starting time with Lack while Markstrom played regularly in the AHL.
“We’re going to look at every avenue we have to make our team competitive. Vancouver is a big-market city, we’ve got a passionate fan base, [and] our owners want to win,” Benning said (audio).
If Benning does decide to pursue a veteran goalie, Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller are pending unrestricted free agents that could be a fit in Vancouver, if the price is right. (We’ve already written plenty on the limited market for the former.)
Or, Benning could roll the dice on the two youngsters in goal, while instead spending cap space on a scoring forward.
Of course, what happens with Ryan Kesler — will he be traded? and if he is, what’s the return? — may need to be decided before any goaltending decision is made.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)