May 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
If new Vancouver general manager Jim Benning really does think the Canucks can be turned around “in a hurry,” he may want to seriously consider getting some insurance in goal.
Today on Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio, Benning didn’t dismiss the possibility of signing a veteran goalie, one we assume would compete for starting time with Lack while Markstrom played regularly in the AHL.
“We’re going to look at every avenue we have to make our team competitive. Vancouver is a big-market city, we’ve got a passionate fan base, [and] our owners want to win,” Benning said (audio).
If Benning does decide to pursue a veteran goalie, Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller are pending unrestricted free agents that could be a fit in Vancouver, if the price is right. (We’ve already written plenty on the limited market for the former.)
Or, Benning could roll the dice on the two youngsters in goal, while instead spending cap space on a scoring forward.
Of course, what happens with Ryan Kesler — will he be traded? and if he is, what’s the return? — may need to be decided before any goaltending decision is made.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 0
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 14
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)