May 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
What a hockey game we just witnessed.
The Chicago Blackhawks have forced a Game 7 in the Western Conference Final by beating the L.A. Kings by a final score of 4-3 on Friday. It was back-and-forth. There was heavy hitting. There was an exchange of pleasantries between goalies Corey Crawford and Jonathan Quick. And there was star power. No, not the celebs in the seats of the Staples Center.
The Kings, needing a win to advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the second time in three years, entered the third period down a goal. But they responded, and took the lead with two goals in 2:06 early, thanks to the brilliance of Doughty, who tied the game and then showed strength, finesse and guts by setting up Alec Martinez to give L.A. a 3-2 lead.
After going the first three games of this series without a point, Kane has been on fire in the last three games. He set up Keith to get Chicago on even terms less than four minutes after L.A. took the third-period lead. Then, the shifty and highly skilled Blackhawks forward gave his team the lead, beating Quick with a wrist shot after evading the coverage of Marian Gaborik.
In the last three games, Kane has eight points. And the Blackhawks have forced a deciding game after trailing in this series 3-1. Meanwhile, it will mark the third time in these playoffs the Kings have played in a Game 7.
It was a remarkable display between the two teams on Friday. It’s not over. They’ll meet one last time this spring on Sunday, as they battle for a berth in the championship series and the chance to face the New York Rangers.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 7
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)