May 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
What a hockey game we just witnessed.
The Chicago Blackhawks have forced a Game 7 in the Western Conference Final by beating the L.A. Kings by a final score of 4-3 on Friday. It was back-and-forth. There was heavy hitting. There was an exchange of pleasantries between goalies Corey Crawford and Jonathan Quick. And there was star power. No, not the celebs in the seats of the Staples Center.
The Kings, needing a win to advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the second time in three years, entered the third period down a goal. But they responded, and took the lead with two goals in 2:06 early, thanks to the brilliance of Doughty, who tied the game and then showed strength, finesse and guts by setting up Alec Martinez to give L.A. a 3-2 lead.
After going the first three games of this series without a point, Kane has been on fire in the last three games. He set up Keith to get Chicago on even terms less than four minutes after L.A. took the third-period lead. Then, the shifty and highly skilled Blackhawks forward gave his team the lead, beating Quick with a wrist shot after evading the coverage of Marian Gaborik.
In the last three games, Kane has eight points. And the Blackhawks have forced a deciding game after trailing in this series 3-1. Meanwhile, it will mark the third time in these playoffs the Kings have played in a Game 7.
It was a remarkable display between the two teams on Friday. It’s not over. They’ll meet one last time this spring on Sunday, as they battle for a berth in the championship series and the chance to face the New York Rangers.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Selanne was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)