May 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
In the Seinfeld episode, George Costanza accused George Steinbrenner of turning the New York Yankees into “a laughingstock, all for the glorification of” the owner’s “massive ego.”
In real life, new Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan recommended that owner Ted Leonsis make changes to his blogging style.
Which one is funnier, we’ll leave that up to you.
If you have no idea why we’re making the comparison in the first place, read this.
Then read this, because Leonsis has confirmed what was originally reported by CSN Washington’s Alan May, writing in an email to the Washington Post that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.”
Leonsis’s blog, Ted’s Take, has been a regular source of fodder for the media. Just last month he wrote that he “was wrong” about the Capitals not having any weaknesses, and went on to promise “a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
Ultimately, that review led to the firing of GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates, the promotion of MacLellan into the GM position, and the hiring of Barry Trotz as the new coach.
And a new, team-centric approach to blogging, apparently.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)