May 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
In the Seinfeld episode, George Costanza accused George Steinbrenner of turning the New York Yankees into “a laughingstock, all for the glorification of” the owner’s “massive ego.”
In real life, new Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan recommended that owner Ted Leonsis make changes to his blogging style.
Which one is funnier, we’ll leave that up to you.
If you have no idea why we’re making the comparison in the first place, read this.
Then read this, because Leonsis has confirmed what was originally reported by CSN Washington’s Alan May, writing in an email to the Washington Post that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.”
Leonsis’s blog, Ted’s Take, has been a regular source of fodder for the media. Just last month he wrote that he “was wrong” about the Capitals not having any weaknesses, and went on to promise “a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
Ultimately, that review led to the firing of GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates, the promotion of MacLellan into the GM position, and the hiring of Barry Trotz as the new coach.
And a new, team-centric approach to blogging, apparently.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)