May 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
In the Seinfeld episode, George Costanza accused George Steinbrenner of turning the New York Yankees into “a laughingstock, all for the glorification of” the owner’s “massive ego.”
In real life, new Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan recommended that owner Ted Leonsis make changes to his blogging style.
Which one is funnier, we’ll leave that up to you.
If you have no idea why we’re making the comparison in the first place, read this.
Then read this, because Leonsis has confirmed what was originally reported by CSN Washington’s Alan May, writing in an email to the Washington Post that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.”
Leonsis’s blog, Ted’s Take, has been a regular source of fodder for the media. Just last month he wrote that he “was wrong” about the Capitals not having any weaknesses, and went on to promise “a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
Ultimately, that review led to the firing of GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates, the promotion of MacLellan into the GM position, and the hiring of Barry Trotz as the new coach.
And a new, team-centric approach to blogging, apparently.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)