May 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
In the Seinfeld episode, George Costanza accused George Steinbrenner of turning the New York Yankees into “a laughingstock, all for the glorification of” the owner’s “massive ego.”
In real life, new Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan recommended that owner Ted Leonsis make changes to his blogging style.
Which one is funnier, we’ll leave that up to you.
If you have no idea why we’re making the comparison in the first place, read this.
Then read this, because Leonsis has confirmed what was originally reported by CSN Washington’s Alan May, writing in an email to the Washington Post that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.”
Leonsis’s blog, Ted’s Take, has been a regular source of fodder for the media. Just last month he wrote that he “was wrong” about the Capitals not having any weaknesses, and went on to promise “a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
Ultimately, that review led to the firing of GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates, the promotion of MacLellan into the GM position, and the hiring of Barry Trotz as the new coach.
And a new, team-centric approach to blogging, apparently.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)