May 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
In the Seinfeld episode, George Costanza accused George Steinbrenner of turning the New York Yankees into “a laughingstock, all for the glorification of” the owner’s “massive ego.”
In real life, new Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan recommended that owner Ted Leonsis make changes to his blogging style.
Which one is funnier, we’ll leave that up to you.
If you have no idea why we’re making the comparison in the first place, read this.
Then read this, because Leonsis has confirmed what was originally reported by CSN Washington’s Alan May, writing in an email to the Washington Post that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.”
Leonsis’s blog, Ted’s Take, has been a regular source of fodder for the media. Just last month he wrote that he “was wrong” about the Capitals not having any weaknesses, and went on to promise “a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
Ultimately, that review led to the firing of GM George McPhee and coach Adam Oates, the promotion of MacLellan into the GM position, and the hiring of Barry Trotz as the new coach.
And a new, team-centric approach to blogging, apparently.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 12
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)