Miikka Kiprusoff is the second-most misspelled name in sports

May 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

File this under “news day, slow” or “derogatory comments, waiting for” — according to the Wall Street Journal, former Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff has the second most-frequently misspelled name in professional sports.

First, the graph:

source:

Then, the data-gathering methodology:

The sports world is littered with names that are nearly impossible to spell. With this in mind, the Count used Factiva—a database that aggregates business news and information from over 32,000 sources worldwide and is owned by Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal—to determine which athlete names are most commonly goofed.

It’s not really surprising that Kiprusoff’s on this list, as he and other fellow Finns have been breaking hockey writers’ brains for years (here’s looking at you, Valtteri Filppula and Antero Niittymaki.)

But since we’re on the subject, here are some other hockey-related spelling things I could do without:

– Braydon (Coburn), Brayden (Schenn), Braden (Holtby). Come to some sort of agreement here, you guys.

Boston’s Kevan Miller. Not to be confused with Kevin Millar, who used to play for Boston.

– People in our comments section who continually refer to Ryan Kessler and/or Phil Kesler.

1. buffbry - May 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I don’t believe for 1 second than any name on that list is misspelled more than Niklas Lidstrom. for 20 years he was one of the greatest players to play and he was constantly disrespected and was named Lindstrom. Even when he was getting an award that 1 year his jersey said lindstrom on it(the NHL couldn’t even get it right). That name and Federov instead of Fedorov i have seen wrong more than any in the history of earth.

• Jason Brough - May 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Nicklas.

• buffbry - May 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM

now thats funny!

2. canucks30 - May 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Brett Farve

• canucks30 - May 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I don’t always post on ProFootballTalk, but when I do, it’s about Brett Favre.

• r8rbhawk - May 29, 2014 at 7:25 PM

That clip is missing all his interceptions

3. canucks30 - May 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Darius Kasparaitis

(Inflammation of the Kaspar)

• r8rbhawk - May 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM

definitely one of the worst places to be inflamed

• JoeAvg - May 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I always thought his name sounded like a condition as well. Are you old enough to remember the tennis star Vitas Gerulaitis? He’s right there with him.

4. jernster21 - May 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Wasn’t Bobrovsky’s name spelled differently on his jersey in the Olympics than how it is here in the US? I think it was Bobrovski vs Bobrovsky?

5. r8rbhawk - May 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Brough, how about the honorable mention that many commenters continue to misspell Sidney Crosby as Cindy? Or do you think they are just doing that to be mean?

• r8rbhawk - May 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Sorry Halford, I saw Brough in the comments section and Freudian-slipped his name in for yours on my post for this article. Please forgive me.

6. bigtganks - May 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I think Dwyane Wade’s mom simply misspelled his first name, not the rest of society. Or is the Y just silent?

• clavette - May 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

i believe it was supposed to be duhwayne

• chanceoffleury - May 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM

You know those “Days without an accident/food poisoning/etc” they keep in restaurants? Well I’m a nurse and one of my friends works in the labor and delivery ward of the hospital and in their break room they have a “Hours since ‘Are you SURE you want it spelled that way?’ was asked” sign. She texts me when real gems pop up. My favs have been Alizzabyth and Bhentlie. Just, why? I don’t understand how anybody who claims they love their child could do that to them.

7. muckleflugga - May 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM

tuufuli uperesa

8. skippyhandleman - May 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The greatest name ever, Reijo Ruotsalainen!

9. polishblue - May 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM