May 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
File this under “news day, slow” or “derogatory comments, waiting for” — according to the Wall Street Journal, former Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff has the second most-frequently misspelled name in professional sports.
First, the graph:
Then, the data-gathering methodology:
The sports world is littered with names that are nearly impossible to spell. With this in mind, the Count used Factiva—a database that aggregates business news and information from over 32,000 sources worldwide and is owned by Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal—to determine which athlete names are most commonly goofed.
It’s not really surprising that Kiprusoff’s on this list, as he and other fellow Finns have been breaking hockey writers’ brains for years (here’s looking at you, Valtteri Filppula and Antero Niittymaki.)
But since we’re on the subject, here are some other hockey-related spelling things I could do without:
— Braydon (Coburn), Brayden (Schenn), Braden (Holtby). Come to some sort of agreement here, you guys.
— Boston’s Kevan Miller. Not to be confused with Kevin Millar, who used to play for Boston.
— People in our comments section who continually refer to Ryan Kessler and/or Phil Kesler.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)