May 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
File this under “news day, slow” or “derogatory comments, waiting for” — according to the Wall Street Journal, former Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff has the second most-frequently misspelled name in professional sports.
First, the graph:
Then, the data-gathering methodology:
The sports world is littered with names that are nearly impossible to spell. With this in mind, the Count used Factiva—a database that aggregates business news and information from over 32,000 sources worldwide and is owned by Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal—to determine which athlete names are most commonly goofed.
It’s not really surprising that Kiprusoff’s on this list, as he and other fellow Finns have been breaking hockey writers’ brains for years (here’s looking at you, Valtteri Filppula and Antero Niittymaki.)
But since we’re on the subject, here are some other hockey-related spelling things I could do without:
— Braydon (Coburn), Brayden (Schenn), Braden (Holtby). Come to some sort of agreement here, you guys.
— Boston’s Kevan Miller. Not to be confused with Kevin Millar, who used to play for Boston.
— People in our comments section who continually refer to Ryan Kessler and/or Phil Kesler.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)