May 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
File this under “news day, slow” or “derogatory comments, waiting for” — according to the Wall Street Journal, former Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff has the second most-frequently misspelled name in professional sports.
First, the graph:
Then, the data-gathering methodology:
The sports world is littered with names that are nearly impossible to spell. With this in mind, the Count used Factiva—a database that aggregates business news and information from over 32,000 sources worldwide and is owned by Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal—to determine which athlete names are most commonly goofed.
It’s not really surprising that Kiprusoff’s on this list, as he and other fellow Finns have been breaking hockey writers’ brains for years (here’s looking at you, Valtteri Filppula and Antero Niittymaki.)
But since we’re on the subject, here are some other hockey-related spelling things I could do without:
— Braydon (Coburn), Brayden (Schenn), Braden (Holtby). Come to some sort of agreement here, you guys.
— Boston’s Kevan Miller. Not to be confused with Kevin Millar, who used to play for Boston.
— People in our comments section who continually refer to Ryan Kessler and/or Phil Kesler.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)