May 29, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have already squandered one chance to finish off the Montreal Canadiens and advance to the Stanley Cup Final. They don’t want to see this series go to a Game 7, but in order for that to happen, goaltender Henrik Lundqvist needs to defy his status quo.
He was yanked midway through the second period on Tuesday after allowing four goals on 19 shots. The problem is, that’s not unusual for him under the circumstances. Whenever the Rangers have the opportunity to advance, but don’t face elimination, Lundqvist seems to struggle.
The last five times the Rangers have been put into that situation, Lundqvist has posted a 5.53 GAA and .808 save percentage, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti. He was pulled in four of those contests.
The silver lining is that if Montreal does force a Game 7, then history suggests that Lundqvist will rise to the occasion. He’s 11-6 with a .944 save percentage in 17 career contests where the Rangers faced elimination. He’s also won his last five Game 7s.
The Rangers will take on Montreal at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)