May 29, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
The New York Rangers have already squandered one chance to finish off the Montreal Canadiens and advance to the Stanley Cup Final. They don’t want to see this series go to a Game 7, but in order for that to happen, goaltender Henrik Lundqvist needs to defy his status quo.
He was yanked midway through the second period on Tuesday after allowing four goals on 19 shots. The problem is, that’s not unusual for him under the circumstances. Whenever the Rangers have the opportunity to advance, but don’t face elimination, Lundqvist seems to struggle.
The last five times the Rangers have been put into that situation, Lundqvist has posted a 5.53 GAA and .808 save percentage, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti. He was pulled in four of those contests.
The silver lining is that if Montreal does force a Game 7, then history suggests that Lundqvist will rise to the occasion. He’s 11-6 with a .944 save percentage in 17 career contests where the Rangers faced elimination. He’s also won his last five Game 7s.
The Rangers will take on Montreal at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)