May 29, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
After losing an instant-classic against the Chicago Blackhawks in double-overtime in Game 5, the Los Angeles face an unsettling proposition: lose in Game 6 and they’ll be in their third Game 7 of the 2014 postseason.
Technically, Friday’s contest is only a “must-win” for Chicago, yet you could sense Drew Doughty‘s urgency about closing things out tomorrow.
The 24-year-old defensive star was absolutely phenomenal in the Kings’ narrow loss on Wednesday. He logged 39:04 minutes of ice time, fired nine shots on goal and finished the night with a +2 rating. Still, his team fell short of earning what would have been a valued week-long rest, as the 2014 Stanley Cup Final will kick off next Wednesday regardless of when the conference finals end.
The Kings face a remarkably similar proposition to what the New York Rangers stare at tonight: one more loss and a 3-1 series lead dissolves into a 3-3 series tie with a Game 7 on the road.
It’s not as if Los Angeles totally flopped in its last attempt to close the Blackhawks out, yet that might make that 5-4 double-OT loss sting that much more.
It’s naturally easier to fight a little harder when your season is literally on the line, but Doughty seems to hope that the Kings come out with the same kind of urgency as their desperate opponents.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)