May 29, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty had a strong performance on Wednesday while logging an incredible 39:04 minutes. It was made moot though by the Chicago Blackhawks, who managed to squeak by with a 5-4 double-overtime win to avoid being eliminated in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final.
“It was a crappy loss and I’m not happy about that obviously,” Doughty said, per LA Kings Insider. It was also a contest where the Kings were forced to play catch up after allowing two goals in the first 3:40 minutes.
“Yeah, for sure and the start we had was awful,” Doughty added. “Bad start and just losing in overtime, that stings a lot. Knowing we could have had it so many times. We had the lead going into the third, which you can’t ask for much more than that. To give up a goal like that so early into the third, was a little bit of a dagger.
“We had opportunities to win tonight, we just didn’t do the job.”
In particular, he pointed to the back-and-forth nature of this game where the team’s traded chances as problematic against the Blackhawks, given how successful they are at capitalizing on those opportunities.
The good news for the Kings is this was just take one of three. Game 6 will be at the Staples Center, so Doughty and his teammates will have an opportunity to get comfortable at home as they shake off this loss.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 6
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 15
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)