May 29, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty had a strong performance on Wednesday while logging an incredible 39:04 minutes. It was made moot though by the Chicago Blackhawks, who managed to squeak by with a 5-4 double-overtime win to avoid being eliminated in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final.
“It was a crappy loss and I’m not happy about that obviously,” Doughty said, per LA Kings Insider. It was also a contest where the Kings were forced to play catch up after allowing two goals in the first 3:40 minutes.
“Yeah, for sure and the start we had was awful,” Doughty added. “Bad start and just losing in overtime, that stings a lot. Knowing we could have had it so many times. We had the lead going into the third, which you can’t ask for much more than that. To give up a goal like that so early into the third, was a little bit of a dagger.
“We had opportunities to win tonight, we just didn’t do the job.”
In particular, he pointed to the back-and-forth nature of this game where the team’s traded chances as problematic against the Blackhawks, given how successful they are at capitalizing on those opportunities.
The good news for the Kings is this was just take one of three. Game 6 will be at the Staples Center, so Doughty and his teammates will have an opportunity to get comfortable at home as they shake off this loss.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)