May 29, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Brooks Orpik is the longest-tenured player on the Pittsburgh roster but, given the uncertainty with his situation and in the Pens’ front office, it’s unclear if that tenure will extend into next season.
On Wednesday, Orpik’s agent shed some light into what the 33-year-old UFA wants moving forward, insisting the fact that Pittsburgh is GM-less won’t muddle contract talks.
“We still have time,” Orpik’s agent, Lewis Gross, told the Tribune-Review. “Brooks isn’t a free agent until July. We’re not worried about Pittsburgh not having a GM right now…
… “I would expect there to be heavy interest in him,” said Gross, who declined to say if returning to Pittsburgh was a high priority for Orpik.
Gross also said a long-term deal will be preferable for Orpik, but did not specify how many years are desired in a new deal.
Though Orpik was sidelined for a good chunk of the playoffs with a knee injury, he insists his “body isn’t breaking down” and that he’ll be fully healthy come training camp time. But whether he’ll be at Pittsburgh’s camp remains up in the air, especially with the wealth of young talent the Pens have on the blueline in Olli Maatta, Derrick Pouliot, Scott Harrington and Brian Dumoulin.
As for financials and term… Orpik made $3.75 million annually on his last deal, a six-year, $22.5 million pact. While it’d probably be difficult for him to land something similar in length this time around, he could be getting something close to a comparable annual salary, especially given some of the deals handed out a year ago (like the four-year, $13.5 million deal Pittsburgh gave Rob Scuderi, for example.)
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Was a Hobey Baker and Mike Richter Award finalist in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Click for the video explanation.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment.”
Mar 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
He was the club’s third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Triple Gold Club member won a World Championship and Olympic Gold in 2006, and a Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)