Vigneault doesn’t think Moore should be suspended

May 28, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Yes, it was late, and John Moore deserved a penalty for it.

No, it’s not worth a suspension.

That’s how Rangers coach Alain Vigneault sees the hit that Moore leveled Montreal’s Dale Weise with last night in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final.

“The guy (Weise) was admiring his pass a little bit,” Vigneault said today.

“I don’t see what else it could warrant (in addition to Moore being ejected from the game). But I’ve been surprised before.”

Indeed he has. Like in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, when he was coaching Vancouver and his player, Aaron Rome, was suspended four games for hitting Boston’s Nathan Horton late. He was definitely surprised (and furious) by that ruling, and things quickly went south for his Canucks.

What the NHL decides to do with Moore remains to be seen. The player has a hearing today for an illegal check to the head.

“The league will do what it has to do,” Vigneault said last night. “I think [Moore] was penalized on the ice. John is definitely not the type of player to try to hurt someone, but it was a late hit and it was the right call on the ice.”

And according to Vigneault, that’s where it should end. With the call on the ice.

1. charlie24zz - May 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

This hit was was worse than Prust’s. Throw him 2 games, put Diaz in

• boisehockeyref - May 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM

That is an asinine statement. It was a half second less than Prust’s hit, and resulted in zero injury. If he gets suspended, it will probably be a game or 2 max.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Zero injury….. Ha! Can you say Grade One concussion? A check where the main point of contact was the head. Way to go ref!

• stakex - May 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Of course a Montreal fan would say that. Of course the reality is a bit difference. Prust’s hit was .9 seconds late, as where Moore’s was .5 seconds after Weise passed the puck. The NHL allows a player to deliver a hit .6 seconds. Worse? Obviously not. Perhaps Weise shouldn’t admire his pass without a care in the world…..

That’s not to say there won’t be a suspension. Montreal fans will burn their city to the ground if he’s not suspended, and the NHL will no doubt buckle to that pressure.

• polishblue - May 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM

the NHL will most likely “buckle to that pressure” and play into Montreal’s favor the same way Adam Silver caved to the general public when banning the Sterling from the NBA….

(i apologize for bringing the NBA into this, hockey is #1)

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Wow! You Rangers’ fans are really drama queens. “burn their city to the ground if he’s not suspended” You’re right! Weise shouldn’t be admiring his pass, and nor should Stepan have been admiring his before he got checked. While I agree with the suspension handed out to Prust for a late hit, and making contact with the head, John Moore’s hit caused Weise to suffer a Grade One concussion. Main point of contact was Weise’s head. If he is not suspended, it sends a very very bad message to all for the remainder of these playoffs.

• charlie24zz - May 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Moore’s main point of contact was the head, and Prust caught Stepan right in the chest, regardless of how late it was. It seems like you’re a biased hockey fan, and I’m the impartial one here.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

How convenient of you to leave out that Moore’s hit was direct contact to the head while Prust’s was to the chest that road up to the chin?

I didn’t expect a Ranger fan to omit that when giving an analysis.

Really, I didn’t. Never saw that coming …

I’m standing here beside myself.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

polishblue, So, racism should be allowed? Great! When will you get rid of your racist streak?

Back to the topic of hockey. No penalty was called on Prust after the hit. The NHL’s dept of player safety reviewed the hit and suspended Prust. Are you with me so far?

Last night AV said the referee made the right call on the ice and said John Moore is not the type of player who goes out there to hurt people. (That’s actually Dorsett’s job) Weise suffered a Grade One concussion. Yet! In your infinite wisdom you write “the NHL will most likely “buckle to that pressure” and play into Montreal’s favor”. How did that work out for them when the NHL suspended Prust?

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM

joey4id, any link to Weise suffering a concussion?

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

idonthavethebloodyoucrave, have you ever taken the time to educate yourself on concussions? Read a book? Watched a documentary? Read medical articles? Have you heard of Dr. Robert Cantu? Chris Nowinski? Head Games? League of Denial? Anything?

If you had, you wouldn’t be asking questions, and you sure as hell wouldn’t be asking for a link. I suggest you do some reading.

• titansbro - May 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM

It wasn’t worse, in fact it was literally only half as late. I honestly think it’s about the same. 2 games is probably fair since that’s what Prust got. Prust DOES have a history though. And since he was ejected, I’m not sure how the NHL looks at that. Other leagues kinda consider that 1 game on it’s own depending on when it happened. 2 games max, probably 1 game though.

• pepper2011 - May 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I know what happened…

Lucic hired Moore as part of his murder plot.

Poorly executed, John Moore; your payment is being withheld.

• mackattack29 - May 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I’m seriously thinking that this could be true. The league needs to INVESTIGATE!!!

• hockey412 - May 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I don’t understand all the comparisons, but if I’m AV I’d rethink my position. Both hits were similar, yada yada. But Moore, in a game with 10 minutes left, down two goals, pulls this crap at the blue line, and he’s a DEFENDER late getting back. WTF? I’m sitting this guy a game regardless. Horrible judgement.

• billiam55 - May 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM

u post the dumbest crap. do u even know anything about hockey?

• imleftcoast - May 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I rarely agree with Joey, but he’s completely right on this. Weise did go through the concussion protocol. I don’t know how he ended up back on the bench, but you can’t call the Habs the drama queens – they weren’t embellishing the injury.

In any case, the injury should be a difference in the suspension. The hit was blind side and late. It’s probably the same 2 games Prust got. I completely fail to see how Moore’s hit would not get him a suspension.

• njadvocate111 - May 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I’m fairly sure you just contradicted yourself. If he did go through the protocol, and ended up back in the game, are we going to assume that commenters on PHT have a better idea of head injuries than those who get paid to do it? How is this injury nonsense even coming into play? Because he went to the quiet room, everyone is ready to diagnose as a Grade 1? I agree that it was late for sure, but it being from the blind side has nothing to do with that, that language was removed in 2011. If it is deemed that his head is the principle point of contact, he will get 2 games, same as Prust. If they determine that it was shoulder on shoulder (as the picture above indicates) then he will not serve any games.

• imleftcoast - May 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Say what you want. The league gave Moore two games and agrees with me – other than on the late hit point. Going through the protocol did matter and it being a blind side hit mattered. It was deemed an illegal hit with the head the primary point of contact (as the video showed).

2. smarterthantheauthor - May 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Definitely will be added to the montage of “dirty hits” for Refs to review for next season that illustrates, definitively, what a dirty hit looks like.

Yer outta here, Moore.

• stakex - May 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Actually, the hit was .5 seconds late….. which is within the limits the league allows (.6). The head also wasn’t the principle point of contact, so while its hard to argue with call on the ice, the hit really wasn’t that dirty.

There is no rule that says you can’t hit a guy who’s admiring his pass. If anything, this will be a video the league uses when instructing players how not to skate through the neutral zone like its a no contact zone.

• dannyboy1313 - May 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

the still pic clearly shows that there is no elbow involved and that Moore is clearly in front of Weise. It is a legal check.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Late or not the head was the main point of contact.

• bwayblueshirt - May 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM

That’s what happens when the refs start playing favorites to stretch out a series. Players get sick of it and start doing things they normally wouldn’t. All the frustration from Subban being able to hook and slash and dive around like a ballerina with an inner ear infection finally won out over JMoore’s judgement. I honestly don’t expect him to be suspended. Supposedly Prust was only suspended for the lateness of the hit, and this hit was not suspendable in terms of lateness. I really hope that Game 6 is the first game since Game 2 to be called fairly.

3. c9castine - May 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

hahaha….oh how the turn tables have turned..

4. polishblue - May 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Based on what we’ve seen called in this series, this hit should get no more than 1 game. There was a major called on it, he had his team kill of a 5 Minute penalty. And he got thrown out of the game. I mean, that’s punishment as it is. So now you want him (a guy with no disciplinary history) suspended the same amount of games as the guy (who has a history of previous suspensions and fines) who broke someones jaw on a much later hit and didn’t get punished for it during the game?

It’s interesting to see what sort of stance the league will take on this……

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Again, it was a head shot. Not sure if he gets 1 or 2, but the hits are different.

• titansbro - May 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Prust’s was a headshot too. I’ve watched the video several times, no getting around it. It’s a headshot.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM

titansbro, you can watch the video hundreds of times. It won’t change the fact that according to the NHL it wasn’t a head shot. Key points; interference, injury, and history = 2 games.

5. fiyeaglesfiy - May 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Prust got 2 games from a similar penalty. The difference being Stepan suffered a serious injury and missed a game and Prust didn’t get penalized during the game (missed call). Assuming the Weise is fine, should be a 1 game suspension…or really since the Rangers took a major penalty and Moore got a game misconduct, the verdict should be just a small fine and time already served…would think that would be consistent.

• nj666 - May 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM

a “serious injury” doesn’t take you out for only one game.

6. tomnickle - May 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Moore’s hit was worse because he made no contact with the shoulder or chest. It was all head.

• homerx - May 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM

You should really watch the replay again.

• tomnickle - May 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Which one? The Prust check where initial contact us with the chest or the Moore hit where the entire contact us with the head?

7. homerx - May 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Ironically the hit was not a head shot and clearly within the 0.6 second late hit rule the NHL had. Prust actually had to reached with his shoulder to hit Stepan and it resulted in a broken jaw. This ruling will be interesting.

• mackattack29 - May 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Lol sooooo wrong. Amazing how people can watch video of both hits and come to such idiotic conclusions.

8. joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM

This is becoming more and more comical by the hour. :-)

“It was the right call.” – AV

“Moore faces a league hearing and possible suspension for the hit, which Vigneault agreed deserved a penalty.”

“Earlier in the game, Moore smashed Weise against a stanchion along the sideboards with a body check that was not penalized.” -NY Times

terrier92 – May 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    Montreal is the drama capital of the universe. Notice how none of the other series have this level of BS going on. Please Rangers elongate these Hab aholes.

jkay1818 – May 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    it’s insane how much and often this team [Montreal]

talks. The fans, coaches, players. Way way too chatty.

billiam55 – May 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    it all starts with coaching. and uve seen Therrien in this series.

• jkay1818 - May 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Joey, i def comment on this site but i never get into it with people. You are honestly out of control on here. You comment on every article with your opinions, usually wrong most of the time. You start arguments with everyone, you talk to yourself and then you scour every thread quoting people.

what is your deal?

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Say what! I guarantee the accuracy of my opinion. What I write is really 100% what I’m thinking. :-)

My deal! Firstly, are you aware of a quota on the amount of articles one can comment on?

Secondly, there are a lot of good commenters here that I enjoy reading. Then there are commenters like you who post childish and idiotic comments that have nothing to do with the game of hockey. All noise and BS. So, I called your BS and others, and will continue to show how idiotic you kind really is.

Try enjoy the game that happens between the boards and try posting hockey comments instead of BS. Or, are you not capable of that?

• jkay1818 - May 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM

nothing to do with the game of hockey? interesting. you can take a look at the past 100 ranger articles (which you will and do anyway) and find me something childish or not involving the game of hockey.

I would say by the thumbs up i get, some people agree with me. But carry on.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Why does the amount of “thumbs up” you get give you satisfaction?

Bill Clinton commenting about the importance of fidelity would get “thumbs up” by most people on this site.

• mackattack29 - May 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I can completely sympathize with joey for the most part as rags fans have been more unbearable than bruins fans during this series. I’ve never seen more whiney fans than rags fans. And yes I’m including Montreal fans and it’s not close how whiney all of these ny fans are I can see how it would drive someone crazy.

• imleftcoast - May 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I agree. I had no idea about the hockey IQ of the Rangers bandwagon jumpers. It’s uncomfortable siding with Joey and not being one of his 50 alternate IDs.

• jkay1818 - May 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

also, how is this talking? I wasn’t as if AV was at the morning skate and rushed over to discuss this. He was giving his opinion, they were interviewing the coach. I don’t get what you are quoting. I meant the diving, the embellishment, therein losing his mind, comments such a Borque’s, briere, Gallagher etc etc.
      the same gripe everyone else has on this site and non ranger fans too.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM

You’re not making sense.

• joey4id - May 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM

“it was a late hit, and it was the right call on the ice” -AV

9. nj666 - May 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM

What someone in the rangers organization with a hypocritical opinion!? I just don’t believe it!

10. etjla - May 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Garage league

11. doknyc - May 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

isnt it funny how habs fans said stefan was admiring his pass, and that prust was legal to hit him???

my god, can you canucks warp any other plays your way??

methinks your brain hath frozen…

go rangers!

12. argofckyourself - May 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Nowhere near as dirty as Prust’s hit. But it’s the NHL and Moore plays for the Rangers, so naturally he’ll get five games.

• charlie24zz - May 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Why was it more dangerous? You’re not giving any reasons. Blanketed-homer statements, and then claiming the NHL has it in for the Rangers is just stupid.

13. njadvocate111 - May 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but from freeze frame above (without playing the video), it seems clear that IF the head was principle point of contact you would see the shoulder making contact with the head? If that is the case, why does the freeze frame of the point of contact, show shoulder on shoulder, with his Weiss’s clearly in the middle of Moore’s letters. Regardless of the follow through, I certainly dont you can say it was clear point of initial contact. Are you completely making up the grade one concussion diagnosis? Because it seems like you are the only one to issue that report.

• jkay1818 - May 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM

of course he is making it up.

14. jasminedonut - May 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM

The only problem with that hit was that that little puke Weise got up.

• jasminedonut - May 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Now that Moore got 2, I really wish he would’ve broken Weise’s jaw or atleast bloodied him up a bit. That guy has been taking runs all series, the puke got what was coming to him, just wish it was more from Moore

15. thenorseman817 - May 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM

The Canadians are fakers and cry babies with every six pucks they get a Box of Kleenex. The way they play hockey up there phones chippy tough they should wear skirts

16. thibbledorfpwent - May 29, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Well call me a sadist, but honestly as an objective fan with no horses in the race (red wings fan), those are the kind of hits I find entertaining in the game. I think Prust’s hit was too late, but other than that nothing was wrong with it. These guy’s get millions of dollars to play a game, do I care if they get brain damage? Absolutely not, they accept these risks for my and your entertainment, and constantly introducing rules to minimize their risks, while increasing their paycheque size and duration is getting more and more frustrating as a viewer

Top 10 NHL Player Searches