May 28, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are shuffling their defensive pairings to try to solve the Los Angeles Kings, but Corey Crawford just can’t seem to get back on track.
The Blackhawks built early 2-0 and 3-1 leads in Game 5 on Wednesday, yet they approach the third period in a worrisome situation. Crawford has been beaten for three unanswered goals as the Kings gained a 4-3 lead.
One could argue that the most discouraging span came when the Kings scored two goals in a two-minute span. Crawford made a nice stop but Dustin Brown cleaned up the rebound to tie things up:
While replays revealed that Tanner Pearson provided a nifty shot, this 4-3 goal could haunt Crawford, especially if it stands as the series-clincher:
Crawford has allowed four goals on 25 shots. He’s now given up at least four goals in four straight games (17 through three games and two periods). There are more than a few rumors that Crawford could be injured tonight. If so, one wonders why Joel Quenneville might not give him a breather tonight.
Jonathan Quick hasn’t exactly been a brick wall himself tonight (three goals allowed on 19 shots), but he only needs to be perfect for 20 minutes to punch the Kings’ ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)