May 28, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are shuffling their defensive pairings to try to solve the Los Angeles Kings, but Corey Crawford just can’t seem to get back on track.
The Blackhawks built early 2-0 and 3-1 leads in Game 5 on Wednesday, yet they approach the third period in a worrisome situation. Crawford has been beaten for three unanswered goals as the Kings gained a 4-3 lead.
One could argue that the most discouraging span came when the Kings scored two goals in a two-minute span. Crawford made a nice stop but Dustin Brown cleaned up the rebound to tie things up:
While replays revealed that Tanner Pearson provided a nifty shot, this 4-3 goal could haunt Crawford, especially if it stands as the series-clincher:
Crawford has allowed four goals on 25 shots. He’s now given up at least four goals in four straight games (17 through three games and two periods). There are more than a few rumors that Crawford could be injured tonight. If so, one wonders why Joel Quenneville might not give him a breather tonight.
Jonathan Quick hasn’t exactly been a brick wall himself tonight (three goals allowed on 19 shots), but he only needs to be perfect for 20 minutes to punch the Kings’ ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9