May 28, 2014, 9:54 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks are shuffling their defensive pairings to try to solve the Los Angeles Kings, but Corey Crawford just can’t seem to get back on track.
The Blackhawks built early 2-0 and 3-1 leads in Game 5 on Wednesday, yet they approach the third period in a worrisome situation. Crawford has been beaten for three unanswered goals as the Kings gained a 4-3 lead.
One could argue that the most discouraging span came when the Kings scored two goals in a two-minute span. Crawford made a nice stop but Dustin Brown cleaned up the rebound to tie things up:
While replays revealed that Tanner Pearson provided a nifty shot, this 4-3 goal could haunt Crawford, especially if it stands as the series-clincher:
Crawford has allowed four goals on 25 shots. He’s now given up at least four goals in four straight games (17 through three games and two periods). There are more than a few rumors that Crawford could be injured tonight. If so, one wonders why Joel Quenneville might not give him a breather tonight.
Jonathan Quick hasn’t exactly been a brick wall himself tonight (three goals allowed on 19 shots), but he only needs to be perfect for 20 minutes to punch the Kings’ ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)