May 28, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are shuffling their defensive pairings to try to solve the Los Angeles Kings, but Corey Crawford just can’t seem to get back on track.
The Blackhawks built early 2-0 and 3-1 leads in Game 5 on Wednesday, yet they approach the third period in a worrisome situation. Crawford has been beaten for three unanswered goals as the Kings gained a 4-3 lead.
One could argue that the most discouraging span came when the Kings scored two goals in a two-minute span. Crawford made a nice stop but Dustin Brown cleaned up the rebound to tie things up:
While replays revealed that Tanner Pearson provided a nifty shot, this 4-3 goal could haunt Crawford, especially if it stands as the series-clincher:
Crawford has allowed four goals on 25 shots. He’s now given up at least four goals in four straight games (17 through three games and two periods). There are more than a few rumors that Crawford could be injured tonight. If so, one wonders why Joel Quenneville might not give him a breather tonight.
Jonathan Quick hasn’t exactly been a brick wall himself tonight (three goals allowed on 19 shots), but he only needs to be perfect for 20 minutes to punch the Kings’ ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)