May 28, 2014, 8:36 PM EST
One could forgive a hockey fan for a deja vu feeling between Game 5 starts on Tuesday and Wednesday.
In Tuesday’s Game 5, the Montreal Canadiens drew a penalty close to 30 seconds into the first period with their season on the line at home. They managed an early 1-0 lead against the New York Rangers when one of their best defenseman fired a shot from the point:
In Wednesday’s Game 5, the Chicago Blackhawks drew a penalty close to 30 seconds into the first period with their season on the line at home. They managed an early 1-0 lead against the Los Angeles Kings when one of their best defenseman fired a shot from the point:
That’s only continued early on, although not note-for-note like that first tally. Yes, the Kings scored a potential momentum-swinging goal, but it only made Chicago’s lead smaller (as opposed to tying the game like Derek Stepan did for the Rangers). Still, the plot seems similar so far; the Blackhawks answered what could have been a crushing goal with yet another tally to make it 3-1, which is where it stands at this very early point.
In the process of putting this post together, Marian Gaborik made it 3-2. Is it possible that this Game 5 could end up even wilder?
Ignoring the odd parallels, the best sign is that Patrick Kane seems to be getting things going. He collected an assist on all three of Chicago’s goals so far in Game 5.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)