May 28, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
Considered to be a GM-in-waiting, Joe Will is going to remain as Doug Wilson’s assistant.
On Wednesday, the Sharks announced they signed Will to an extension as the club’s assistant GM, a role he’s served in since 2011 and apparently had the opportunity to leave for other opportunities across the NHL.
“Joe is an invaluable member of our hockey department,” Wilson said in a statement. “We are extremely pleased that he has committed himself to staying and working in San Jose, despite being approached with several opportunities by other NHL clubs. We’re fortunate to have him in our organization.”
More, from the Sharks’ release:
He’s the lead coordinator and planner for the Sharks training camp, scouting meetings and scouting conference calls each season.
In addition, as general manager of the Worcester Sharks, Will oversees all hockey operations efforts for the Sharks American Hockey League affiliate, including player evaluation, player contracts and player recall and reassignments.
[Will] also works with director of scouting Tim Burke and the Sharks scouting staff in the development and implementation of draft prospect testing, draft table operations and computer scouting analysis.
Since 2003, the Sharks rank second in the NHL in games played (6003) by players selected in the NHL Draft, despite holding the lowest average drafting position (135.22, 30th) of all NHL teams.
The move to retain Will is part of a larger narrative that sums up San Jose’s offseason, one that many expected to be tumultuous in the wake of the Sharks’ opening-round playoff collapse to the L.A. Kings. Rather than shake up the front office and coaching staff, owner Hasso Plattner opted to follow Wilson’s advice for patience and retained head coach Todd McLellan, extended the contract of associate coach Larry Robinson and has now kept Will in the fold as well.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)