May 28, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
Considered to be a GM-in-waiting, Joe Will is going to remain as Doug Wilson’s assistant.
On Wednesday, the Sharks announced they signed Will to an extension as the club’s assistant GM, a role he’s served in since 2011 and apparently had the opportunity to leave for other opportunities across the NHL.
“Joe is an invaluable member of our hockey department,” Wilson said in a statement. “We are extremely pleased that he has committed himself to staying and working in San Jose, despite being approached with several opportunities by other NHL clubs. We’re fortunate to have him in our organization.”
More, from the Sharks’ release:
He’s the lead coordinator and planner for the Sharks training camp, scouting meetings and scouting conference calls each season.
In addition, as general manager of the Worcester Sharks, Will oversees all hockey operations efforts for the Sharks American Hockey League affiliate, including player evaluation, player contracts and player recall and reassignments.
[Will] also works with director of scouting Tim Burke and the Sharks scouting staff in the development and implementation of draft prospect testing, draft table operations and computer scouting analysis.
Since 2003, the Sharks rank second in the NHL in games played (6003) by players selected in the NHL Draft, despite holding the lowest average drafting position (135.22, 30th) of all NHL teams.
The move to retain Will is part of a larger narrative that sums up San Jose’s offseason, one that many expected to be tumultuous in the wake of the Sharks’ opening-round playoff collapse to the L.A. Kings. Rather than shake up the front office and coaching staff, owner Hasso Plattner opted to follow Wilson’s advice for patience and retained head coach Todd McLellan, extended the contract of associate coach Larry Robinson and has now kept Will in the fold as well.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)