May 28, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis revealed that winger Alexander Semin underwent successful wrist surgery sometime during this offseason and is expected to be ready to go by the time the team’s training camp kicks off.
Interestingly, Francis notes that the 30-year-old sniper hurt his wrist during 2013 training camp and was hampered by the injury for the duration of the 2013-14 season. It was a tough year for Semin, who needed an injury to make Russia’s Olympic team and missed the playoffs once again with the Hurricanes.
“He hurt it in training camp. He jammed it and had issues with that. He tried a couple different things over the course of the season, but more or less just played with the bad wrist all season,” Francis said. “All indications are that the surgery went well. He’s rehabbing it now, and he should be 100 percent for training camp.”
A 22-goal campaign is probably a little underwhelming to some, although he did so in 65 games and was obviously not 100 percent.
Really, though, it’s been a while since Semin unleashed his outstanding shot enough to enjoy a truly outstanding goal-scoring season. He’s scored 28 or fewer goals since the 2010-11 season after enjoying 38, 34 and 40-goal campaigns during his best times with the Washington Capitals.
That’s not to say that he’s been an “enigma” at all times in Carolina; he managed exactly a point-per-game (44 in 44 contests) in 2012-13 while showing some promising chemistry with Eric Staal. Injuries have been a considerable hindrance for Semin and many other Hurricanes, really, so a coaching change plus a little more health-related luck could help that struggling franchise turn things around.
If nothing else, we might see more of that world-class wrist shot next season.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)