May 28, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis revealed that winger Alexander Semin underwent successful wrist surgery sometime during this offseason and is expected to be ready to go by the time the team’s training camp kicks off.
Interestingly, Francis notes that the 30-year-old sniper hurt his wrist during 2013 training camp and was hampered by the injury for the duration of the 2013-14 season. It was a tough year for Semin, who needed an injury to make Russia’s Olympic team and missed the playoffs once again with the Hurricanes.
“He hurt it in training camp. He jammed it and had issues with that. He tried a couple different things over the course of the season, but more or less just played with the bad wrist all season,” Francis said. “All indications are that the surgery went well. He’s rehabbing it now, and he should be 100 percent for training camp.”
A 22-goal campaign is probably a little underwhelming to some, although he did so in 65 games and was obviously not 100 percent.
Really, though, it’s been a while since Semin unleashed his outstanding shot enough to enjoy a truly outstanding goal-scoring season. He’s scored 28 or fewer goals since the 2010-11 season after enjoying 38, 34 and 40-goal campaigns during his best times with the Washington Capitals.
That’s not to say that he’s been an “enigma” at all times in Carolina; he managed exactly a point-per-game (44 in 44 contests) in 2012-13 while showing some promising chemistry with Eric Staal. Injuries have been a considerable hindrance for Semin and many other Hurricanes, really, so a coaching change plus a little more health-related luck could help that struggling franchise turn things around.
If nothing else, we might see more of that world-class wrist shot next season.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40