May 28, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis revealed that winger Alexander Semin underwent successful wrist surgery sometime during this offseason and is expected to be ready to go by the time the team’s training camp kicks off.
Interestingly, Francis notes that the 30-year-old sniper hurt his wrist during 2013 training camp and was hampered by the injury for the duration of the 2013-14 season. It was a tough year for Semin, who needed an injury to make Russia’s Olympic team and missed the playoffs once again with the Hurricanes.
“He hurt it in training camp. He jammed it and had issues with that. He tried a couple different things over the course of the season, but more or less just played with the bad wrist all season,” Francis said. “All indications are that the surgery went well. He’s rehabbing it now, and he should be 100 percent for training camp.”
A 22-goal campaign is probably a little underwhelming to some, although he did so in 65 games and was obviously not 100 percent.
Really, though, it’s been a while since Semin unleashed his outstanding shot enough to enjoy a truly outstanding goal-scoring season. He’s scored 28 or fewer goals since the 2010-11 season after enjoying 38, 34 and 40-goal campaigns during his best times with the Washington Capitals.
That’s not to say that he’s been an “enigma” at all times in Carolina; he managed exactly a point-per-game (44 in 44 contests) in 2012-13 while showing some promising chemistry with Eric Staal. Injuries have been a considerable hindrance for Semin and many other Hurricanes, really, so a coaching change plus a little more health-related luck could help that struggling franchise turn things around.
If nothing else, we might see more of that world-class wrist shot next season.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)