May 28, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Defenseman Brent Seabrook was one of the Chicago Blackhawks’ best players in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but that hasn’t been the case against the Los Angeles Kings, who have a 3-1 lead in the Western Conference Final.
“I’ve got to be better,” Seabrook asserted after Chicago’s 5-2 loss on Monday, per NHL.com. “I was out there for both of those [power-play] goals.
“I’ve got to be better in those situations to help out [goalie Corey Crawford], help out everybody on the ice and we have to get the job done. That’s a big part of the series.”
Los Angeles was two-for-three with the man advantage in Game 4, but he feels he needs to do more in “every facet of the game” and not just when it comes to killing penalties.
He’s not the only Blackhawks player that has come up short lately. Their top line wasn’t anything special on Monday and no one has managed to adequately fill the role of the team’s second-line center.
Los Angeles deserves plenty of credit for outplaying the Blackhawks too. If they are going to overcome the Kings, their top players will have to rise to the challenge.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)