May 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
The New York Rangers didn’t take eight penalties in Game 5 like they did in Game 4, but it’s difficult to argue that they were more disciplined this time around. Dan Girardi and Brad Richards ranked among those who acknowledged as much after Tuesday’s 7-4 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.
Most importantly, they maintained how important it is to avoid making the same mistakes as the series shifts to Madison Square Garden for Game 6 on Thursday.
Indeed, it was a pretty wild game tonight. Henrik Lundqvist was pulled, John Moore delivered a hit that could generate a suspension (to say nothing of Derek Dorsett‘s headbutt) and defense generally seemed optional. Hockey’s a game of passion, but failing to walk the line between intensity and buffoonery can cost a team a game (if not a series).
Before Game 5, Alain Vigneault worried that the Rangers would put themselves “behind the eight-ball.” His fears seemed to come true tonight, so the question is whether New York can get back on track before this series goes off the rails altogether.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)