May 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
The New York Rangers didn’t take eight penalties in Game 5 like they did in Game 4, but it’s difficult to argue that they were more disciplined this time around. Dan Girardi and Brad Richards ranked among those who acknowledged as much after Tuesday’s 7-4 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.
Most importantly, they maintained how important it is to avoid making the same mistakes as the series shifts to Madison Square Garden for Game 6 on Thursday.
Indeed, it was a pretty wild game tonight. Henrik Lundqvist was pulled, John Moore delivered a hit that could generate a suspension (to say nothing of Derek Dorsett‘s headbutt) and defense generally seemed optional. Hockey’s a game of passion, but failing to walk the line between intensity and buffoonery can cost a team a game (if not a series).
Before Game 5, Alain Vigneault worried that the Rangers would put themselves “behind the eight-ball.” His fears seemed to come true tonight, so the question is whether New York can get back on track before this series goes off the rails altogether.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)