May 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
The New York Rangers didn’t take eight penalties in Game 5 like they did in Game 4, but it’s difficult to argue that they were more disciplined this time around. Dan Girardi and Brad Richards ranked among those who acknowledged as much after Tuesday’s 7-4 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.
Most importantly, they maintained how important it is to avoid making the same mistakes as the series shifts to Madison Square Garden for Game 6 on Thursday.
Indeed, it was a pretty wild game tonight. Henrik Lundqvist was pulled, John Moore delivered a hit that could generate a suspension (to say nothing of Derek Dorsett‘s headbutt) and defense generally seemed optional. Hockey’s a game of passion, but failing to walk the line between intensity and buffoonery can cost a team a game (if not a series).
Before Game 5, Alain Vigneault worried that the Rangers would put themselves “behind the eight-ball.” His fears seemed to come true tonight, so the question is whether New York can get back on track before this series goes off the rails altogether.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)