May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
The hit occurred Tuesday night in Montreal, during the third period of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final. Moore was assessed a match penalty by the officials.
In making its ruling, the NHL deemed that Moore drove “up and into” Weise while delivering a check that made Weise’s head the “main point of contact.”
The league also ruled that the hit caused an injury, even though Weise “returned to the game and completed it.” It’s since been reported that Weise suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.
The league did, however, note that Weise was eligible to be hit on the play, i.e. it was not a late hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault did not believe that the hit was worthy of a suspension.
Earlier in the series, Montreal forward Brandon Prust was suspended two games for injuring New York’s Derek Stepan with a late hit.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 6
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 33
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)