May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
The hit occurred Tuesday night in Montreal, during the third period of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final. Moore was assessed a match penalty by the officials.
In making its ruling, the NHL deemed that Moore drove “up and into” Weise while delivering a check that made Weise’s head the “main point of contact.”
The league also ruled that the hit caused an injury, even though Weise “returned to the game and completed it.” It’s since been reported that Weise suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.
The league did, however, note that Weise was eligible to be hit on the play, i.e. it was not a late hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault did not believe that the hit was worthy of a suspension.
Earlier in the series, Montreal forward Brandon Prust was suspended two games for injuring New York’s Derek Stepan with a late hit.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 28
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25