May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
The hit occurred Tuesday night in Montreal, during the third period of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final. Moore was assessed a match penalty by the officials.
In making its ruling, the NHL deemed that Moore drove “up and into” Weise while delivering a check that made Weise’s head the “main point of contact.”
The league also ruled that the hit caused an injury, even though Weise “returned to the game and completed it.” It’s since been reported that Weise suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.
The league did, however, note that Weise was eligible to be hit on the play, i.e. it was not a late hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault did not believe that the hit was worthy of a suspension.
Earlier in the series, Montreal forward Brandon Prust was suspended two games for injuring New York’s Derek Stepan with a late hit.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)