May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
The hit occurred Tuesday night in Montreal, during the third period of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final. Moore was assessed a match penalty by the officials.
In making its ruling, the NHL deemed that Moore drove “up and into” Weise while delivering a check that made Weise’s head the “main point of contact.”
The league also ruled that the hit caused an injury, even though Weise “returned to the game and completed it.” It’s since been reported that Weise suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.
The league did, however, note that Weise was eligible to be hit on the play, i.e. it was not a late hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault did not believe that the hit was worthy of a suspension.
Earlier in the series, Montreal forward Brandon Prust was suspended two games for injuring New York’s Derek Stepan with a late hit.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)