May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
The hit occurred Tuesday night in Montreal, during the third period of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final. Moore was assessed a match penalty by the officials.
In making its ruling, the NHL deemed that Moore drove “up and into” Weise while delivering a check that made Weise’s head the “main point of contact.”
The league also ruled that the hit caused an injury, even though Weise “returned to the game and completed it.” It’s since been reported that Weise suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.
The league did, however, note that Weise was eligible to be hit on the play, i.e. it was not a late hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault did not believe that the hit was worthy of a suspension.
Earlier in the series, Montreal forward Brandon Prust was suspended two games for injuring New York’s Derek Stepan with a late hit.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32