May 27, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault likely doused the flames a bit by claiming his team’s responsibility for Game 4’s eight penalties, but that didn’t stop people from accusing the Montreal Canadiens of embellishing/diving/other mean terms for gaining power plays.
Apparently the Game 5 officials are well-aware of that talk.
In a moment that doesn’t come along very often, Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec received a two-minute embellishment penalty that didn’t come with a corresponding minor for the Rangers. (Typically, an embellishment penalty leads to a 4-on-4 situation rather than a power play.)
The plot thickened when Chris Kreider scored a 4-4 goal on the resulting power play, although some of the controversy may have subsided considering that Rene Bourque gave Montreal a 5-4 lead shortly thereafter.
Regardless, it was quite the spectacle. Check out a montage of how we got to this point:
Here’s the goal that happened on the ensuing power play:
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)