May 27, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
For a little while, it seemed like things might have cooled off a bit between the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers … at least relatively speaking. The two teams at least stopped “8 Mile” battling between Game 4 and 5, but a series of hits and some rough stuff at the end of Tuesday’s Canadiens win might just rev up the distaste once again.
That being said, the two coaches seemed to agree that Moore deserved the match penalty, even if Alain Vigneault threw out the usual “He’s not the type of guy who tries to hurt people” line.
Lars Eller delivered a hit that drew some criticism, even if it was on a much smaller scale:
As much distaste as the Canadiens likely had for the Moore hit, agitating forward Derek Dorsett might actually draw more ire. He got into it with various Habs including Mike Weaver and Rene Bourque late in the game. Dorsett delivered a headbutt on Weaver, as you can see from this GIF via My Regular Face:
To little surprise, Weaver was displeased after the game.
(There’s some allegations about some other poor sportsmanship, but that’s cloudy at best. Either way, Dorsett isn’t likely to receive many Christmas cards from Montreal addresses anytime soon …)
The Rangers made some comments about keeping cool heads in Game 6, but it remains to be seen if they can back that up with more disciplined play. If nothing else, it’s hard to imagine anything except a heated contest at Madison Square Garden on Thursday.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)