Stepan, Carcillo travel to Montreal with Rangers

May 27, 2014, 2:07 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v New York Rangers - Game Three Getty Images

Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw on a late, high hit from Brandon Prust in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final, traveled with the rest of the New York Rangers to Montreal, although it’s not yet known if he’ll play in Game 5 on Tuesday.

“I couldn’t say right now. If he does come back, it is my understanding that he’s going to need some facial protection, without a doubt,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, as per The Star-Ledger.

“He’s made the trip with us, like Dan Carcillo. The only player we’ve left behind in New York is J.T. Miller. He’s got an upper body injury.”

Stepan didn’t play in Game 4 of the series, while Prust sat out as part of his two-game suspension handed down for the incident.

If Stepan were to get in the lineup, it’s difficult to say what kind of impact he would have, especially coming off such an injury. The 23-year-old center has had a solid playoff so far, with 11 points in 17 games.

Meanwhile, Carcillo was handed a 10-game suspension for physically abusing an linesman during a fight that occurred in the first period of Game 3, shortly after the Prust hit on Stepan took place.

Carcillo will appeal the suspension before NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. The Rangers can close out the series and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1994.

1. charlieconway96 - May 27, 2014 at 2:33 AM

Carcillo? Hahaha, I may stand corrected for laughing at that but I doubt it.

2. blomfeld - May 27, 2014 at 2:45 AM

*** Tomorrow at Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport ***

CBSA Agent: your papers please ?

Carcillo: here ya go Pierre …

CBSA Agent: it says here that you have a tail and that you sport whiskers ?

Carcillo: just stamp my passport you idiot !

Special CBSA Agent Joey: no ! … you are vermin and you will not be allowed into this country !

Carcillo: kiss my ass you clown !

Special CBSA Agent Joey: guards, kindly ‘eliminate’ this problem if you please ?

Carcillo: wait a minute, what’s going on here man ?

CBSA Guards: shut up you vermin ! … KAPOW !! .. KABOOM !! .. KAZAAM !!

3. matt14gg - May 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I’m not sure why I’m supposed to care that Carcillo made the trip.

4. papajack1259 - May 27, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Watch the flopping tonight they should have Olympic Judges that hold up a number when Subban or Paciorety do there swan dives. Like Therren said our ineffective power play is why we lost So keep flopping boys keep flopping it’s the only way you got a chance. We will be talking about the referees no matter what the out come

5. arrow43050 - May 27, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I was going to say that Markov deserved at least a phone call for his hit on Miller that has put him out of the next game, but then I remembered how Markov’s been playing and I think it would be a hit to the Rangers’ chances of winning if Markov is taken out of the lineup. I just pray that Alexei Emelin doesn’t do anything to get kicked out or suspended.

6. montrealbbr - May 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Wow that “broken jaw” sure did heal fast!

• jcuervo962002 - May 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Yeah you are right. I am sure the Rangers sat him out just to spite you.

• 7mantel - May 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Are you new hockey ? Hockey players are like no other pro sport athlete ,they play through pain . I guess your the type of kid who goes crying to his mother for a scraped knee !

• sixchr - May 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Or maybe he wants to be with his teammates when they kick your clown show of a hockey team out of the playoffs tonight?

• dropthepuckeh - May 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM

NYR fans should be properly introduced to “montrealbbr”. He also goes by ” Habsman” and ” greemtboy” although he seems to have abandoned those aliases in recent years. I think his sister took back her computer and it’s harder for him to log out and back into his other accounts.

What you should know is that if there is a conspiracy to find, a tasteless comment to be made or a hypocritical Habs defense to argue, Habsman will be all over it. He trolls most of the Bruins posts and still wants Chara prosecuted for his hit on Maxi.

It gives me great pleasure to watch the Rangers beat up on the Habs and I hope tonight they will finish them off in front of their arrogant sniveling fan base. Count on a Montreal PP within the first and last five minutes off the game. Next to death and taxes, the only sure things in life.

• mgp1219 - May 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Perfectly written, dropthepuck. Well said!!
        habsman is in hiding.

• mgp1219 - May 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

it’s wired shut, you douchebag! (there’s some French for you)

• mgp1219 - May 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

not as fast as pacioretty’s concusion after he skated into the glass with his head a few seasons ago.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches