May 27, 2014, 2:07 AM EST
Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw on a late, high hit from Brandon Prust in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final, traveled with the rest of the New York Rangers to Montreal, although it’s not yet known if he’ll play in Game 5 on Tuesday.
“I couldn’t say right now. If he does come back, it is my understanding that he’s going to need some facial protection, without a doubt,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, as per The Star-Ledger.
Stepan didn’t play in Game 4 of the series, while Prust sat out as part of his two-game suspension handed down for the incident.
If Stepan were to get in the lineup, it’s difficult to say what kind of impact he would have, especially coming off such an injury. The 23-year-old center has had a solid playoff so far, with 11 points in 17 games.
Meanwhile, Carcillo was handed a 10-game suspension for physically abusing an linesman during a fight that occurred in the first period of Game 3, shortly after the Prust hit on Stepan took place.
Carcillo will appeal the suspension before NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. The Rangers can close out the series and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1994.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)