May 27, 2014, 2:07 AM EDT
Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw on a late, high hit from Brandon Prust in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final, traveled with the rest of the New York Rangers to Montreal, although it’s not yet known if he’ll play in Game 5 on Tuesday.
“I couldn’t say right now. If he does come back, it is my understanding that he’s going to need some facial protection, without a doubt,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, as per The Star-Ledger.
Stepan didn’t play in Game 4 of the series, while Prust sat out as part of his two-game suspension handed down for the incident.
If Stepan were to get in the lineup, it’s difficult to say what kind of impact he would have, especially coming off such an injury. The 23-year-old center has had a solid playoff so far, with 11 points in 17 games.
Meanwhile, Carcillo was handed a 10-game suspension for physically abusing an linesman during a fight that occurred in the first period of Game 3, shortly after the Prust hit on Stepan took place.
Carcillo will appeal the suspension before NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. The Rangers can close out the series and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1994.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)