May 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Yeah, we’re not sure we can speculate about that anymore after what new general manager Brian “George” MacLellan said today.
“I think we need Brooks Laich,” said MacLellan, per CBS’ Sky Kerstein. ‘When Brooks Laich’s in our line-up our team plays better. A healthy Brooks Laich.”
Key word there? Healthy. Because Laich has been anything but.
That’s Laich’s injury log from the past year and a bit. You’ll note the number of times his groin has been a problem. Heck, just search “Laich groin” on PHT. You won’t find any shortage of posts.
Now, Laich did have surgery in March, and the procedure did leave him feeling “mentally and physically liberated and free to get on with my hockey career and excel in the sport – not just participate.”
So maybe his injury woes are finally behind him. The 30-year-old is signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million, so the Caps, if they do keep him, better hope so.
Laich, by the way, was on hand for today’s press conference introducing McLellan and new head coach Barry Trotz.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)