May 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Yeah, we’re not sure we can speculate about that anymore after what new general manager Brian “George” MacLellan said today.
“I think we need Brooks Laich,” said MacLellan, per CBS’ Sky Kerstein. ‘When Brooks Laich’s in our line-up our team plays better. A healthy Brooks Laich.”
Key word there? Healthy. Because Laich has been anything but.
That’s Laich’s injury log from the past year and a bit. You’ll note the number of times his groin has been a problem. Heck, just search “Laich groin” on PHT. You won’t find any shortage of posts.
Now, Laich did have surgery in March, and the procedure did leave him feeling “mentally and physically liberated and free to get on with my hockey career and excel in the sport – not just participate.”
So maybe his injury woes are finally behind him. The 30-year-old is signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million, so the Caps, if they do keep him, better hope so.
Laich, by the way, was on hand for today’s press conference introducing McLellan and new head coach Barry Trotz.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 64
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50