May 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Yeah, we’re not sure we can speculate about that anymore after what new general manager Brian “George” MacLellan said today.
“I think we need Brooks Laich,” said MacLellan, per CBS’ Sky Kerstein. ‘When Brooks Laich’s in our line-up our team plays better. A healthy Brooks Laich.”
Key word there? Healthy. Because Laich has been anything but.
That’s Laich’s injury log from the past year and a bit. You’ll note the number of times his groin has been a problem. Heck, just search “Laich groin” on PHT. You won’t find any shortage of posts.
Now, Laich did have surgery in March, and the procedure did leave him feeling “mentally and physically liberated and free to get on with my hockey career and excel in the sport – not just participate.”
So maybe his injury woes are finally behind him. The 30-year-old is signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million, so the Caps, if they do keep him, better hope so.
Laich, by the way, was on hand for today’s press conference introducing McLellan and new head coach Barry Trotz.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)